BC Boards

New With Potential BC mix

Hello everyone! I am new to borders, although I have been researching them for months. I recently came across a young female BC Heeler mix and if everything goes to plan, I'll be picking her up March 1st. I don't know too much about her except; she lives outside on a farm, she's shy with men, she's protective and active. I have owned two purebred Aussie Shepherds before as well as a Aussie Heeler mix, so I am familiar with herding breeds. However, I am getting nervous that I may not be able to keep her entertained and mentally/physically active enough. I've read a lot of how ocd/neurotic BCs can be and how constantly energized they are. Maybe I was lucky with my previous dogs but they were fairly calm, they could go non stop if I was, but they'd also lay next to me all day if I were sick or a storm prevented us from getting them out to run off steam.

I'm not sure if she's house trained as she lives outside, I've never had to house train an adult dog, is it the same as a puppy?

Is kennel training an adult the same process as for a puppy?

Will a 30-60min walk with a few hours of training be enough for the average BC?

Are BC generally Velcro dogs? I love having my dog at my side all day, it's my favorite thing of herding breeds!

I know it will be hard to answer my questions since I don't know her but hopefully some general ideas will be helpful. Thank you.

I think there's a lot of excessive hype about the energy requirements of BC. IMO most are good to go for hours *if you want*, but will turn off and chill out nicely if that's what they need to do. UNLESS they have been taught to be pests, by 'giving into' or rewarding nagging type behavior.

Basically, yeah, if you take the dog out every time it seems restless and throw a ball, they're going to pace around and/or get destructive and try to get you to take them out to throw a ball. If you teach them to go lie down and chill, they'll do that instead. It may need to be actively taught, but the capacity is there.

I don't think I've EVER done HOURS of training with any of my dogs, including my BC. She's good for about 20 minutes at a time, then she fries. (Gets overstimulated, goes flat, gets distracted, whatever, but she is not doing training for multiple hours without play breaks.). Her exercise is more than on leash walking, though. More like 2-3 session of some hard core off leash running/disc/fetch/hiking, whatever, totaling up to an hour or two.

A lot of BC are not particularly physically affectionate, but some want to be inside your skin. Most seem to want to be where the action (and their owner) is.

The rest - yes, just like a puppy.

Thank you so much. My previous dogs could handle maybe 5mins of training and then they would stop responding and look at me as if to say no mom were done lol. I've read so many things that say BCs want to go go go and I figured she's going to need a lot of mental/physical stimulation. My Heeler mix wanted to be inside my skin lol, she was so clingy, I couldn't walk to the other side of my bedroom without her following me, but I'll admit I really did enjoy her Velcro habits. Thank you again, I'm looking forward to bringing her home.

How old is this dog?

With your heeler experience, a border collie should be a piece of cake!

That said, past experience (of the dog) will have a lot to do with how things go.

House training - yep, the same for adults as pups. It may take a tad longer - but just be diligent.

Mental games will go a LONG way to keeping her "tired." Most of that can be training, as it sounds like she's had very little.

Don't set your expectations to high to begin with. Give her time to settle in.

Crate training? Absolutely! I trained a malamute/shepherd/something mix at age 5 to love his crate - it can be done!

Hope all goes well, and keep us posted!

diane

Gabe gets 2 50-60 minute walks a day, and at least part of those are "training walks" where we work on leash reactivity. We also do some short training sessions in the evening. We're working on the paw work tricks from the "tricks" thread :)

He settles nicely in the house, and is most likely a border collie/Australian Shepherd mix.

The more confident he's getting the less "velcro dog" he is, but in new situations for the most part I think he'd crawl into my skin and live there if he could. Right now he's in the other room chilling by himself.

Have fun with the new dog and can't wait to see pictures :)

Yesterday my dogs got a 20 min off leash hike and 10 min of training time. My youngster also got a 45 min field trip to visit a college class (where he just chilled)

They also wrestled in the living room for 20 min.

And they were both pretty happy and content to hang out the rest of the day :) My 7 y/o dog can't wait to go back to bed when I take them outside before work in the morning. The almost 2 y/o follows me around then crates himself about 5 min before I leave.

They're also ready to go, go, go at the drop of a hat. A perfect combination IMO!!

Thank you everyone. I was told she is about 3yrs old and her name is Little Anne. From what I've seen of her, she looks more BC with her longer hair and skinny body, she's not as thick as heelers lol. She has more Heeler coloring though, almost Dalmatian looking with a couple big black spots. I'll keep you all updated once I bring her home. Just a few more weeks!!

Gabe gets 2 50-60 minute walks a day, and at least part of those are "training walks" where we work on leash reactivity. We also do some short training sessions in the evening. We're working on the paw work tricks from the "tricks" thread :)

He settles nicely in the house, and is most likely a border collie/Australian Shepherd mix.

The more confident he's getting the less "velcro dog" he is, but in new situations for the most part I think he'd crawl into my skin and live there if he could. Right now he's in the other room chilling by himself.

Have fun with the new dog and can't wait to see pictures :)

We have a leash reactive Aussie mix too! ... Every walk is a training walk :)

Our BC is a Velcro dog.... Like attached at my hip... Loves cuddles and can go forever, but lays at my feel the second I sit down no matter what... All this was untrained, as he was an adult stray we adopted. He also was never house trained but with the use of the crate he never had an accident and caught on right away! The crate training did take a little effort but not nearly as much effort as our Aussie mix puppy at ten weeks haha. Good luck!

We have a leash reactive Aussie mix too! ... Every walk is a training walk :)

Haha yeah...our 5:30am walks usually have a little more "relaxed" walking since not many of our neighbors are crazy enough to be out that early.

His new thing is whining and crying when we see another dog instead of barking. I'm glad he's not barking but seriously Gabe?

Haha yeah...our 5:30am walks usually have a little more "relaxed" walking since not many of our neighbors are crazy enough to be out that early.

His new thing is whining and crying when we see another dog instead of barking. I'm glad he's not barking but seriously Gabe?

Haha yeah we take the dogs out at 5am on weekdays, it's so nice!! No one is ever out with their dogs ;) we are at the whining stage too!! However I am not complaining because I'll take whining over barking and lunging any day. Is Gabe's reactivity caused by excitement/frustration? How old is he? We have made huge progress the last couple of months, I don't have to walk in pure fear of seeing a dog a mile away. We are at about a safe distance of across the street as long as we keep moving very fast lol.

Thank you everyone. I was told she is about 3yrs old and her name is Little Anne. From what I've seen of her, she looks more BC with her longer hair and skinny body, she's not as thick as heelers lol. She has more Heeler coloring though, almost Dalmatian looking with a couple big black spots. I'll keep you all updated once I bring her home. Just a few more weeks!!

She sounds adorable!!!!!! I think Artoo might have heeler in him too, but it's hard to tell, he has a lot of ticking too. We call him "Little Artoo" , he is about 3 and was outside his whole life too.... Isn't that weird they have so much in common?!? I am so excited for you! Why do you have to wait to get her?

This is the one we bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AT3M4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02 It's not dirt cheap, but it seemed like a good price and we're happy with the product so far.

This is the one that I got, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QFT1R2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I got the 'used one' and the box was beat up but the crate itself was good were good, still wrapped in plastic and all parts included. $33 was my final price looks like it is slightly smaller...

I'm sorry to hear this. You must be very disappointed.

There are a lot of people here who volunteer or know about good border collie rescues, some of which are willing to adopt out of their coverage areas. Perhaps you might get some suggestions by posting in the Rescue Resources forum.

Best wishes with your search.

Yes I am. I try to look at my shelter as well but they mostly have pit bulls and pit mixes. I think I'll go next weekend to look again.

I'm sorry to hear it fell through. Don't give up! I don't know where you are geographically, but if you're anywhere near the US Southwest, there are always BCs in shelters out here. If you can't find one in your town, try the next over sort of thing. There are 3 or 4 right now in shelters near me:(