BC Boards

Teaching Forward

Catu

My dog have basic obedience, most of all an useful kind of trainig to be a "good canine citizen" Walk on heels, sit, down, etc. She has a pretty good actitud too and had winned a pair of cups in a novice category.

But now I need to performance his skills. I have a month an half to teach her to retrieve the apport (not a big deal, have taught it to other dogs) and "Forward", too known as "Voraus". This is an exercise I never taught before to any dogs. I'm doing some experiments and seems Chemukh is going pretty good, but an experienced advice would be very welcomed.

Hi Catu

Not sure exactly what the exercise entails - but seems it might be like the go out - as in the first part of the directed jumping exercise in Utility Dog in obedience.

I use a target plate to work on this with my dogs. Place a treat on a target (can be a plastic lid - I use white at first, then change to transparent, then gradually cut them down.) Send you dog from a short distance at first, then gradually increase the distance.

Does that sound like it's the sort of thing you wanted?

If that is what you want, I use targets (as Tassie said) and also just throwing toy/treats.

That way, when the dog starts to grasp what you want, you can throw the toy later and later so that the dog actually "goes" some before they see the toy.