BC Boards

She's Here!!

Grace Home.htm I'm so excited she is here. She is a handful to say the least. I have taken her outside at least 20 times already, then I was in the other room doing something when she started barking, she needed to go outside and already letting us know. WOW! Impressive. I was wanting to know something....The lady I got her from was feeding her raw food, blending it in the blender, she gave us some for four days, of course telling us to alternate it with the kibble we will be feeding her. Grace has gobbled up some kibble and I of course took it away thinking she has had her fair share for the evening. Will it stop her up? She also drinks A LOT of water. Should I be worried?

What a cutie!

I wouldn't be worried about the kibble unless she got into a 20 lb bag and devoured half of it. Just kidding. I would just keep an eye on her water intake, but I wouldn't be too worried at the moment. She is probably peeing a lot. So she needs to replace liquids. What goes in usually comes out the other end. ;)

Adorable.

Drinking a lot of water is a sign of stress, and the transition she's making now is stressful. It will diminish in time.

ETA: As for the kibble, don't give her more than she should eat at one time and you won't have a problem with her eating too much. Free feeding's never a great idea anyway.

Thank you for the answers. I don't know what I would do if you all weren't here to rely on, I mean that, which brings me to my next question. Gracie's stool has become runnier, I assumed the dry kibble would harden things up, what is going on here?

Well, of course and per usual you all are correct! I called the lady I got her from and she told me that because Grace is used to raw food, chicken and such she is missing the bone, I called my husband since he was out and asked him to pick up some chicken wings and a blender, he did, she is eating fine and doing much much better! The transition should be gradual and I wasn't doing that. I have learned a valuable lesson here.

Be careful about adding too much bone if you're switching to kibble. Chicken wings are mostly bone -- too much bone to be a complete diet, therefore too much calcium. When feeding raw, too much bone can be constipating.

If you're combining kibble and raw, the raw should be balanced -- about 10-15% bone (no more than 30% max) and the rest meat. Otherwise you'll be throwing the balance of the kibble off and you could cause nutritional deficiencies.

I went the other way around, switching my pup from kibble to raw, but after the first mixed meal I went cold turkey. His stools firmed up within a week.

If I were switching from raw to kibble, I'd probably do the same thing, that is, go cold turkey. Honestly the "missing the bone" doesn't make a lot of sense to me, because the kibble should be a balanced meal.

• 2 weeks later...

Grace is all over the place!! She is more dog than I have EVER owned before and I have had a variety of dogs. She is a welcomed all consuming joy and I couldn't be happier. My husband who only wanted Grace because he wanted to make me happy has fallen completely in love. On another note, I have noticed Grace is usually overheated, she plays hard and trains hard she likes nice cool places to rest. We have a chihuahua who loves her blue blanket, its a huge fuzzy thing that she wraps herself up in, Grace gets on the couch and drags a corner out so she can lay on just the leather, its cute and smart!! She knows so many tricks ..sit, down, roll over, over the other way, shake, stand, down, bang! ( she plays dead ) She puts her two front paws on my feet and walks with me, she walks backwards, none of these tricks are superior but she knows them and she will perfect them all I am sure of it. I'm so proud of her. By the by, her stool is fine, we adjusted her to a kibble that is good for her and is all around nutritious. I will take more pictures and post them and also post a video of her doing her amazing tricks.

Your right there! I learned that the hard way, lol. I was going crazy trying to run after her, no this, no that, no, no, no! Then I realized, HEY! I've got a crate!!! Thank goodness I introduced it to her as a place to lay down and relax, That crate is used sparingly, but its used.