BC Boards

February Trick Challenge: Paw Work

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've always used that technique-didn't know it had a special name though. For example, when training my dogs to sit. My sit also means stay until I say alright.

I say sit and the dog sits. I go to give the reward. If the dog breaks, I just pull back my hand and look at them. By now, all my dogs know to sit back down to get the reward-otherwise I'd repeat the sit command.

Ok, so we worked on paw stuff tonight. Because we're beginners, my goal is just for her to lift each front paw on cue. To start with, I'm having her do a paw target to my hand -- left paw to left hand, right paw to right hand. Last time we worked at this her strategy was, "Oh a hand! A hand! I'll... chew it? No treat. Jump at it with both paws! No? Perhaps if I paw at it frantically and then collapse onto my side...". We made progress, but it wasn't pretty. Tonight was much cleaner. The right paw comes easily to her, but the left takes a bit more thought before she offers it. I don't think it will take many more sessions for her to get it down pretty solidly, though.

The right paw comes easily to her, but the left takes a bit more thought before she offers it. I don't think it will take many more sessions for her to get it down pretty solidly, though.

A piece of advice I have been given often is just work on one side and get that sorted then move onto the other side. It makes the trick much clearer to the dog.

• 2 weeks later...

This is our final result, still quite rough but the shape is right, he just needs to be more confident. He doesn't get it every time yet but it's a great start. We've also worked on calm paw targeting but I didn't get a video of that, I'll post a few more tomorrow. I'm really surprised we managed this one, he didn't even know sit pretty at the start of the month and he'd only ever paw targeted to my hands. I'd love to see whatever progress anyone else made during the month.

It's already a week into march, but life has been ectic. I haven't had the time to make a vid yet.

So, Tess understands puting both paws on a target (I've used a book), and can do most variations of sit-down-stand while keeping the paws on the book. We're having a bit of trouble with the transition from stand to sit (she has always had this tendency to move her body backwards when sitting). I've been holding her collar so there's a bit of pressure and she doesn't make that backwards movement, but it's probably not the best method. Any sugestions?

My goals changed as our physio wanted us to master paw pods, and I am pleased to say we have achieved that goal, I can shuffle 3 pods around and get the correct paws on the right pod. Although occasionally he does get both front paws on one pod, which although cute is not the desired behaviour!

What we learned in February, loosely in the front paw tricks category, was

• popping to a sit pretty from a down (without moving the back legs)
  • balancing front paws on the FitPaw pods and not kicking them across the room (Rex has mastered it, Bar is working on it)

• 4 weeks later...

So... we got some skipping. Sort of. It was a while coming, and still needs some polishing as far as the rhthym goes, plus Cohen still needs a bit more clarity on what I'm looking for, but it's on its way. Sharing via FB video, since I don't really feel like uploading it to YouTube. I welcome your thoughts!

https://www.facebook.com/CohenTheAustralianShepherd/videos/1698319710455404/

(Screen grab from video attached too.)

post-14441-0-95293400-1459784571_thumb.png