BC Boards

Toys for a dog that likes to rip things apart.

Fun topic!

Had me fondly remembering Wryly, who was a champion tennis ball peeler. He looked for the ones that had a gap or a wrinkle and then he'd lie down and happily rip the furry covering off in strips.

Here's something I've tried for Otto:

Re-purposing the unstuffed stuffed toys. With the first rip of a new toy, when the polyester starts to come out, I take it away and safely disembowel it myself. Then, when I have an empty toy carcass, I re-stuff it with tennis balls, treats etc. Otto has to fiddle and root and rip to get the items out of the toy's head, feet, paws. Also with tennis balls in it, it makes a good washable, throw & tug toy. :-)

The other "game" he goes bonkers for is unwrapping. Wrap/fold/roll a highly desirable toy up in a towel, toss and say "find it!" or "get it!" When the towel is mastered, proceed to a large sheet or blanket which is more challenging- or even try a double-doozy - toy inside a sheet, inside a blanket.

If you do this please video (!) so we can compare unwrapping styles. So far I have identified four:

1) the careful and deliberate one-step-at-a-time peel back/unfold with teeth approach.

2) the squat & swat, scoop & scratch with front paws approach.

3) the bite & shake vigorously until the bundle unfolds approach, and even

4) the scratch open with hind paws approach.

... of course there could be others ! ;-)

Lol when a stuftie gets ruined here (unless it's a special one-squirrelly and frog get sewn back up ) we use it as an outside toy for serious games of tug until it is so shredded that we can't both hold on.... Then we play chase with the last "favorite" bit of fabric until wick is too tired to play any more (and just lays down and tries to eat it) and then it all goes in the trash.... The final tug game is worth every penny spent on those weakling toys :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic