BC Boards

dry scaley skin

Sorienew

Maralynn is right about the yeast, oatmeal just makes any yeast problems worse.

There's a fairly common misconception about bathing. You can bathe as often as you like and have great skin...if you use *high quality* shampoo. Not the stuff you find at the average pet store chain. Many of their products contain silicon, which makes the hair very slippery and shiny for a short while, but is extremely drying.

Well, actually "silicone dries out hair" is a common belief, but its not really true. First of all, there are a dozen ingredients that are called "silicones" but they vary widely. There are some like cyclomethicone that evaporate, but they are used as delivery systems for other ingredients, as they distribute into a thin, uniform film before evaporation. Additionally, unlike short-chain alcohols, these won’t carry off moisture. Silicones like dimethicone (the most commonly used in shampoos) do not evaporate and in fact prevent evaporation by coating the hair shaft. There are over a dozen commonly used silicones out there, but cyclomethicone and dimethicone are the most commonly used in dog shampoos and conditions and human stuff as well.

(Why do I know all this? I researched it extensively at one point because I have so many conifers in my yard that my dogs get a lot of sticky bits in their fur just being ooutside, so I started use silicone grooming sprays on my dogs furnishings and Papillon ears, and kept hearing about how they were a problem. I have not experienced any dryness or breakage of any fur using them.)

Is it possible the skin problem is the result of actually fixing the thyroid problem? I've seen a lot of my animals blow their coat and get flaky skin after fixing a nutrition problem. It's like the system does a reboot once all the needs are met.

Skin is many layers thick, I wonder if maybe the outer layer shedding irregularly after treatment is simply the timeline of that layer of damaged from thyroid skin going?

You're right, I didn't explain it as well as you!

I was speaking off of my horse experience (usually Show Sheen), which always blocks moisture going in, as well as going out.

That said, my gelding has a gorgeous tail. And it always looks like crap a day after using any common grooming spray with silicone based ingredients. I'm just had crappy, crappy luck with those products.

I used LaserSheen and you're right it looked crappy the next day, but it was because the silicone based sprays pick up dust, so if I touched my horse's tail, I would get ALL of that dust on me, because it shed the dust as easily as it picked it up.

I used LaserSheen and you're right it looked crappy the next day, but it was because the silicone based sprays pick up dust, so if I touched my horse's tail, I would get ALL of that dust on me, because it shed the dust as easily as it picked it up.

Yes, I find the grooming sprays (I am using Ice on Ice) help my non-Border Collie dog shed dirt and bits of plants before they catch enough hair to form a tangle. I am grateful that my Border Collie has that kind of coat naturally.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I find the grooming sprays (I am using Ice on Ice) help my non-Border Collie dog shed dirt and bits of plants before they catch enough hair to form a tangle. I am grateful that my Border Collie has that kind of coat naturally.

Ice On Ice is a good grooming spray - I use it on Boo, who is most probably a Coton, and it does a good job without making the hair attract dirt. Because of the kind of coat he has, a grooming spray is necessary every time I brush him, which is daily. I rarely use it on the border collies, but it looks nice when I do.

Another thing to try is a silk protein type of glossing gel meant for human use. Sally Beauty sells a generic one that has the exact same ingredients as the expensive product. I have found that for the Coton, the silk protein in very small amounts works wonders. Best thing is to experiment to find out what your dog's coat needs.

Of course, it is more important to treat from the inside. The Grizzly Wild Salmon oil is the best, and if you buy the 64oz pump bottle it really doesn't cost that much. My dogs and cats get it every day. Plain fish oils found in grocery stores may not do any good, because they are not as high quality, and often contain soy oil and other additives that are not helpful.

Coming late to this.....

Someone (sorry, forgot who!) said, "Canned sardines contain salt." MOST do - and most have added oils of dubious value (cottonseed, etc.). But if one is lucky enough to live near, or gets to often enough, a Trader Joe's - their brand is in water and with no salt. I add about a teaspoon to my dogs' evening meals - mostly for flavor, a tad of natural fish oil.

I also use B-Naturals Fish Oil, adding Vit. E.

Be careful using the liquid oil - someone said to keep it refrigerated, which is important. But as the bottle gets low in quantity, there is a lot of air in there - and that will damage the oils. If you go through a bottle fast enough (more dogs!), this might not be a huge issue. But I much prefer the capsules (especially when traveling!).

diane

Only problem I found with sardines is that it results in some people telling me that the dog has terrible fishy breath. I have no sense of smell, myself, so it would not bother me, but I never give sardines to my dogs or cats because I don't want them to have stinky breath for other people.