BC Boards

Random fascination

Is anyone else completely fascinated with how diverse the border collie is? So many shapes, sizes, colors, coat type, temperaments, etc. It's truly incredible. The way they can be companions, working dogs, couch potatoes is amazing. Probably why they are my favorite. I noticed a lot of people who are new to the breed always think they are a one size fits all. They hear things like they need to be exercising 4 hours a day or they will ruin your things if they aren't working at all times. I'm like well mine just lounges around, lives in an apartment, goes to agility once a week and is so happy. Just so incredible how different all border collies are.

I am new to the breed. I knew they were intelligent dogs with high energy up until I started photographing my friend's border collies. Beyond that, they were just another dog breed to me. After spending time with them, I knew that if I ever got a dog again, that's what I'd like to get! I have a lot of admiration and respect for them now, and I am honored to be getting a great puppy soon.

I was just thinking today how diverse the four Border collies I've owned are. I'd like to take an obedience class with my male over the winter but I need to find the right instructor. I've had issues in the past with having the wrong instructor for him. My other dogs it wouldn't matter much. This one is also difficult to describe. He is a great dog, very intelligent, very high drive and lives to work, he also has environmental issues that are similar to a child with autism. My other male was rock solid, loved to work and was spooky intelligent. Both females are conniving and worked if it was fun and something was in it for them. One was rock solid and dependable, the current female, not so much. She's so mellow she'd love to sleep on the sofa all day with someone petting her.

I knew nothing about Border Collies when I put down a deposit on a BC puppy for my daughter. I thought all BCs were rough coat and black and white. I spent a huge amount of time educating myself before we brought our puppy home and learned enough to warn my daughter that she might get a smooth coat (she was so excited to get her own puppy that she didn't care). I ended up loving our little, scrawny, smooth coat dog so much that I adopted another smooth coat collie from a rescue a year later.

I can honestly say that my BCs are ten times the work of my other dogs but are completely worth the effort.

Don't tell my husband but I would love a third collie. :ph34r: