BC Boards

I'm getting a new BC Feb 6. This will be my first BC ever! I'm so excited I can't even begin to tell you. I am ready for this amazing animal. I didn't want to get (Grace) until I was ready for her, I am semi retired, I have plenty of time to exercise with her, train her etc, but what I am in need of is some ideas on how to care for her coat, how to watch out for any possible warning signs of misbehaving. I bought my Grace from a wonderful Breeder, they have provided the hip, the eye things ( I can't think of what they are called ) they have provided pedigree, tips. They give weekly video updates, I live for those! Anyway...any and all help is needed. I am sure I will be a frequent visitor here, this will be my home away from home. Thank you. DeeDee :rolleyes:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm getting a new BC Feb 6. This will be my first BC ever! I'm so excited I can't even begin to tell you. I am ready for this amazing animal. I didn't want to get (Grace) until I was ready for her, I am semi retired, I have plenty of time to exercise with her, train her etc, but what I am in need of is some ideas on how to care for her coat, how to watch out for any possible warning signs of misbehaving. I bought my Grace from a wonderful Breeder, they have provided the hip, the eye things ( I can't think of what they are called ) they have provided pedigree, tips. They give weekly video updates, I live for those! Anyway...any and all help is needed. I am sure I will be a frequent visitor here, this will be my home away from home. Thank you. DeeDee :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your new pup! Posting photos here is very much appreciated as we all love puppy pics. :D

" I am sure I will be a frequent visitor here, ..." << This. Also go back in the archives and read, read, read. A wealth of excellent common sense canine information is contained, and also the BC-specific topics have been discussed.

Feel free to post questions, but also take advantage of the knowledge available in past threads.

Congratulations on your new pup! Posting photos here is very much appreciated as we all love puppy pics. :D

" I am sure I will be a frequent visitor here, ..." << This. Also go back in the archives and read, read, read. A wealth of excellent common sense canine information is contained, and also the BC-specific topics have been discussed.

Feel free to post questions, but also take advantage of the knowledge available in past threads.

I did this before I became a member when we adopted Buddy. There really is a lot of great information:) I wish things could be tagged like health or personality to sort a little bit better. Either way, I was really happy to find this site!

Congratulations. You are in for a wonderful experience. I was in the same situation as you two years ago and this forum has been my go to place every day. I have learned many things over the last two years and I feel like my life has been enriched by the overall experience. Here is my two cents worth.

1. Every Border Collie is different so be careful with the suggestions you are given. Don't compare Grace's progress with other Border Collies. You will hear about some Border Collies that seem to be doing all the right things by the time they are six months even though the training has been minimal. You will hear about others that have had constant training for years but are still struggling. There are so many factors to consider including the experience level of the trainer and the make up of the dog. Just enjoy her for who she is and try to develop your relationship a little bit everyday.

2. Use a crate. My Juno is two now and has spent every night of her life in a crate (actually a nice wooden house). She loves her house and will go to it any time she is asked. At bedtime, she rushes to get in her house. When she was young she was always on the go and the only rest I got was when she was in the crate. Getting a crate was the single best thing I ever did. It has always been a positive experience for her.

3. Intellectual stimulation is far more tiring than physical exercise. I think, for most Border Collies, it is difficult to tire them out with physical exercise alone. They love to think and work. This is what keeps them happy and you sane.

4. Get a book like 'Control Unleashed: The Puppy Program' so you know what you are doing right from the start.

Good Luck and enjoy Grace

Dear Ms. Roxadee,

You asked: "how to watch out for any possible warning signs of misbehaving."

If you and the pup are having fun in the world, she's not misbehaving. If she does something that annoys you let her know and she'll change. It is much less complicated than we who've wrapped our lives around these dogs like to pretend. La, what theories we have!

The truth is that at dusk outside every tiny Scottish village people are walking their beloved pet Border Collies and few of the owners, or dogs, have ever had a lesson.

Your dog wants to work with you. Be clear about what you want and be patient and you'll have a wonderful life.

Get a crate, a puppy collar with nametag (your ph & contact info) a light leash and you'll be good to go.

Donald McCaig

You've gotten the basics above.

To answer your other question, IMO border collies' coats are pretty easy to take care of. A good diet, perhaps with the addition of some fish oil, and a basic brush are all that's usually necessary. They tend to have self-cleaning coats, meaning that even when they get all muddy all the dirt tends to fall off by itself once it dries. Of course you'll have a pile of dirt where the dog was lying till it dries. ;) Maybe a rinse off with clear water before they come back in the house, which is what I often do rather than a full bath.

Over bathing is often more of a problem than not bathing them enough, drying their skin. They don't tend to be a breed with much doggy odor at all.

I honestly can't remember the last time I bathed Bodhi, and he's a therapy dog who needs to be clean for his visits. People often comment how nice he smells or ask if he's just been bathed but he hasn't been.

Thank you all for responding. My first order of business is to purchase a crate! The wait for my Grace is simply agonizing to say the least. It's like waiting on Christmas when I was 6. Then I panic thinking "am I really ready for her?!" The fear of not doing what is best for her is haunting. I want to stimulate her mentally and physically but now realize that physically she would indeed give me a heart attack if I attempted to keep up. I am 50! I can't remember a time when I was so excited about the coming of something. GentleLake you mentioned fish oil, do they make a fish oil for dogs? Ourwully you mentioned a book called "Control Unleashed" where would I get such a book? Sounds like a must read. Donald McCaig you mentioned puppy collar, name tag, phone # etc, I will surely get her that. Vireyda I will when I'm done writing this go back and read some of the interesting things on here that I am sure will get me further along than I am now. Thank you all so very much for caring enough to write me. One more question gcv-border.....I would love to show you all pictures of Grace, there are videos of her but I don't know how to upload them. I find them on her site ( the breeders ) also on Youtube. Any ideas?

They do make fish oil for dogs but a good brand of human grade fish oil is fine, too. Just make sure the mercury's filtered out.

I get Grizzly salmon oil for my dogs from Amazon. It's cheaper to buy liquid than capsules. I'm leery of most fish oils marketed for dogs as I'm not sure bout the purity, but AFAIK Grizzly's a good brand.

Dogs are all different and bc's might have common breed traits but they are still individuals. Still if your pup is somewhat like my Tess was there might come a few times in the first few months when you question the sanity of your having-a-bc decision.

Tess was by far the more energetic, curious, mouthy pup I ever had. She was always lovely but she could be really tiresome at times. She was undoubtly very very smart but that didn't in the least mean she did as told. She was easier to train than my other dogs because she gets things so quickly, but she was also harder to train than my other dogs because she gets things so quickly. She was very good at misbehaving if I wasn't very clear and consistent about how I would like for things to be done.

She's 2.5 yo now and the most amazing delightfull dog I have ever owned.

My advice would be not to try too hard and to remember that just because a product is on the market doesn't mean it is necessary.

Be prepared to ask your vet why when any treatment is suggested; a good vet will be happy to justify their recommendations. Don't be intimidated. Your relationship should be one of mutual respect.

The book 'Control Unleashed: The Puppy Program" by Leslie McDevitt can be ordered online from cleanrun.com but I think you will find it in a lot of places. If you search through the different threads on this website you will see this book mentioned frequently. When I got my copy Juno was already passed being a puppy. As I read the book I kept thinking to myself 'I wish I had this book from the beginning". Reading this book will help you through the waiting period. By the way I am not a salesman for this book. I just really like it.

The book is just full of everything you want to know but two of the games/principles I use on a daily basis now are the Look at That game and the Premack Principle. The Look at That game is explained in detail, and it works on a lot of things, but in general it gets the dog to look at , rather than react to. things that would normally scare him or get him over excited. For example, Juno would lunge at cars when we were walking on leash so everytime a car would go by I would say 'look at the car'. Juno would look and I would give her a treat. It didn't take long before she got used to cars. Juno is just past two now but squirrels really make her go crazy so when we see a squirrel I use the Look at That game. Lately, we have been able to walk by squirrels with no problem. The Premack Principle is a little more difficult to explain but it is highly effective and I use it daily in many different situations. For example, to teach the Leave it command I will reward Juno for leaving the desired item, but as soon as she leaves it I give her the item. She knows that if she leaves it now she will get it later. That is probably a poor example but gives you a little bit of an idea.

I would also like to recommend to you a DVD called Crate Games by Susan Garrett that is distributed by Dogwise.com. It is a bit expensive at around $30 but it covers a lot of basic ground and is very easy to understand and follow.

As an alternative to fish oil you might consider a dog food that has a salmon base. The breeder I got Juno from uses a Salmon and Potato dry food. Juno loves this kibble and I use some of it for training treats. Her coat is always shiny.

Thank you all for responding. My first order of business is to purchase a crate! The wait for my Grace is simply agonizing to say the least. It's like waiting on Christmas when I was 6. Then I panic thinking "am I really ready for her?!" The fear of not doing what is best for her is haunting. I want to stimulate her mentally and physically but now realize that physically she would indeed give me a heart attack if I attempted to keep up. I am 50! I can't remember a time when I was so excited about the coming of something. GentleLake you mentioned fish oil, do they make a fish oil for dogs? Ourwully you mentioned a book called "Control Unleashed" where would I get such a book? Sounds like a must read. Donald McCaig you mentioned puppy collar, name tag, phone # etc, I will surely get her that. Vireyda I will when I'm done writing this go back and read some of the interesting things on here that I am sure will get me further along than I am now. Thank you all so very much for caring enough to write me. One more question gcv-border.....I would love to show you all pictures of Grace, there are videos of her but I don't know how to upload them. I find them on her site ( the breeders ) also on Youtube. Any ideas?

Congratulations on the new puppy!

For the record, I'm 53 and have a 15 month old pup, as well as the three grown dogs. Trust me, you're not too old! :P

Anyhow, you've already got plenty of good advice, so I'm pretty much just echoing. The way to tell she's misbehaving is simple: you'll see her doing something you don't like. Chewing the furniture, chasing the vacuum cleaner, barking at neighbors - it's not rocket science, it's just being observant and showing them an alternate way to cope with that situation. So, basic advice:

Get a crate - wire is fine for home use, but consider covering it to give her added security and comfort. They do like a den! I start mine on the crate from the first night they come home, so just expect some crying and a couple nights or so short of sleep. ;) If the breeder introduces her to a crate beforehand, that may limit or even negate the crying. If you can put the crate in the bedroom with you and give her some non-squeaky toys to sleep with, that will also be good. Lastly, don't plan on nice bedding to start, as she may well be destructo-puppy! She may not, but just start with old towels or sheets or something else cheap and semi-disposable.

Depending on how things are set up at home, you might also consider keeping an x-pen for occasional indoor use those times when you don't necessarily want to crate her, but just keep her out of trouble. That can be a nice way to leave her a little freedom to play while you shower or clean house or whatever.

Lastly, don't over-think things too much! :) She's a puppy and she's going to do puppy stuff. But the most important thing you can do is help her learn to navigate the world she lives in. You're just shaping her behaviors to fit. If she's gnawing furniture, remove her from it and stuff a toy in her mouth. If she's attacking the carpet, stuff a toy in her mouth. Have LOTS of toys and change them out. My dogs have a toy box with a variety of things from rope toys and stuffing-less squeaky animals to balls to Nylabone chewies to Kongs. When my pups are small, my house looks like I have a demented two-year-old living with me! :P

Her body needs exercise less than her mind. Don't fall into the trap of thinking she needs to run 30 miles a day. Sure, she'd love to do that! But giving her things to do, and best of all, teaching her to play on her own will go a long ways. My dogs are bored right now because it's 15 degrees out and I'm not taking them outside to romp, but they know they can just chew on a toy or push a ball around to entertain themselves if they want. Do NOT fall into the trap of feeling you have to engage and entertain Gracie every waking minute. She can learn to hang out and be chill on her own, as well. It's important to teach them the value of down time and just hanging out.

But as has been said, she's going to be an individual! If she's a calm little sweetheart or a busy little dervish, it's ALL totally normal. If you get stuck or lost for anything, just come here an ask. Within the experience of these boards is pretty much everything a border collie puppy can do or has ever done. :rolleyes:

Please do post photos when she comes home!

~ Gloria

Congratulations on the new puppy!

For the record, I'm 53 and have a 15 month old pup, as well as the three grown dogs. Trust me, you're not too old! :P

Anyhow, you've already got plenty of good advice, so I'm pretty much just echoing. The way to tell she's misbehaving is simple: you'll see her doing something you don't like. Chewing the furniture, chasing the vacuum cleaner, barking at neighbors - it's not rocket science, it's just being observant and showing them an alternate way to cope with that situation. So, basic advice:

Get a crate - wire is fine for home use, but consider covering it to give her added security and comfort. They do like a den! I start mine on the crate from the first night they come home, so just expect some crying and a couple nights or so short of sleep. If the breeder introduces her to a crate beforehand, that may limit or even negate the crying. If you can put the crate in the bedroom with you and give her some non-squeaky toys to sleep with, that will also be good. Lastly, don't plan on nice bedding to start, as she may well be destructo-puppy! She may not, but just start with old towels or sheets or something else cheap and semi-disposable.

Depending on how things are set up at home, you might also consider keeping an x-pen for occasional indoor use those times when you don't necessarily want to crate her, but just keep her out of trouble. That can be a nice way to leave her a little freedom to play while you shower or clean house or whatever.

Lastly, don't over-think things too much! :) She's a puppy and she's going to do puppy stuff. But the most important thing you can do is help her learn to navigate the world she lives in. You're just shaping her behaviors to fit. If she's gnawing furniture, remove her from it and stuff a toy in her mouth. If she's attacking the carpet, stuff a toy in her mouth. Have LOTS of toys and change them out. My dogs have a toy box with a variety of things from rope toys and stuffing-less squeaky animals to balls to Nylabone chewies to Kongs. When my pups are small, my house looks like I have a demented two-year-old living with me!

Her body needs exercise less than her mind. Don't fall into the trap of thinking she needs to run 30 miles a day. Sure, she'd love to do that! But giving her things to do, and best of all, teaching her to play on her own will go a long ways. My dogs are bored right now because it's 15 degrees out and I'm not taking them outside to romp, but they know they can just chew on a toy or push a ball around to entertain themselves if they want. Do NOT fall into the trap of feeling you have to engage and entertain Gracie every waking minute. She can learn to hang out and be chill on her own, as well. It's important to teach them the value of down time and just hanging out.That's where engaging toys are a god-send.

But as has been said, she's going to be an individual! If she's a calm little sweetheart or a busy little dervish, it's ALL totally normal. If you get stuck or lost for anything, just come here an ask. Within the experience of these boards is pretty much everything a border collie puppy can do or has ever done. :rolleyes:

Please do post photos when she comes home!

~ Gloria

They do make fish oil for dogs but a good brand of human grade fish oil is fine, too. Just make sure the mercury's filtered out.

I get Grizzly salmon oil for my dogs from Amazon. It's cheaper to buy liquid than capsules. I'm leery of most fish oils marketed for dogs as I'm not sure bout the purity, but AFAIK Grizzly's a good brand.

Dogs are all different and bc's might have common breed traits but they are still individuals. Still if your pup is somewhat like my Tess was there might come a few times in the first few months when you question the sanity of your having-a-bc decision.

Tess was by far the more energetic, curious, mouthy pup I ever had. She was always lovely but she could be really tiresome at times. She was undoubtly very very smart but that didn't in the least mean she did as told. She was easier to train than my other dogs because she gets things so quickly, but she was also harder to train than my other dogs because she gets things so quickly. She was very good at misbehaving if I wasn't very clear and consistent about how I would like for things to be done.

She's 2.5 yo now and the most amazing delightfull dog I have ever owned.

My advice would be not to try too hard and to remember that just because a product is on the market doesn't mean it is necessary.

Be prepared to ask your vet why when any treatment is suggested; a good vet will be happy to justify their recommendations. Don't be intimidated. Your relationship should be one of mutual respect.

The book 'Control Unleashed: The Puppy Program" by Leslie McDevitt can be ordered online from cleanrun.com but I think you will find it in a lot of places. If you search through the different threads on this website you will see this book mentioned frequently. When I got my copy Juno was already passed being a puppy. As I read the book I kept thinking to myself 'I wish I had this book from the beginning". Reading this book will help you through the waiting period. By the way I am not a salesman for this book. I just really like it.

The book is just full of everything you want to know but two of the games/principles I use on a daily basis now are the Look at That game and the Premack Principle. The Look at That game is explained in detail, and it works on a lot of things, but in general it gets the dog to look at , rather than react to. things that would normally scare him or get him over excited. For example, Juno would lunge at cars when we were walking on leash so everytime a car would go by I would say 'look at the car'. Juno would look and I would give her a treat. It didn't take long before she got used to cars. Juno is just past two now but squirrels really make her go crazy so when we see a squirrel I use the Look at That game. Lately, we have been able to walk by squirrels with no problem. The Premack Principle is a little more difficult to explain but it is highly effective and I use it daily in many different situations. For example, to teach the Leave it command I will reward Juno for leaving the desired item, but as soon as she leaves it I give her the item. She knows that if she leaves it now she will get it later. That is probably a poor example but gives you a little bit of an idea.

I would also like to recommend to you a DVD called Crate Games by Susan Garrett that is distributed by Dogwise.com. It is a bit expensive at around $30 but it covers a lot of basic ground and is very easy to understand and follow.

As an alternative to fish oil you might consider a dog food that has a salmon base. The breeder I got Juno from uses a Salmon and Potato dry food. Juno loves this kibble and I use some of it for training treats. Her coat is always shiny.

As an alternative to fish oil you might consider a dog food that has a salmon base.

That might do it but I have 2 issues with this approach.

One is that it's no longer generally accepted that it's best to feed the same protein source indefinitely. Most nutritionists now recommend varying the protein source to provide a better nutritional profile that may not be possible with only one type of protein.

Another is the preservatives needed to keep oily fish from going rancid in dry foods. Dog food manufacturers may not be adding synthetic preservatives like ethoxyquin or BHT to their formulas, but they don't have to report preservatives that have already been added to the fish meals they get from their suppliers. This means that the fish may already have a pretty heavy preservative load without its ever showing up in the ingredients list.

GentleLake- I tried to write everyone back earlier but when I went back to read what I had written I noticed all had gone! so in answer to your question..yes, there is something ( new favorite word ) "wonky" going on. It's either that or I have done something very blonde which isn't out of the question. Grizzly salmon oil is on my list of things to get. I need a good healthy treat for training purposes to. My Breeder feeds her dogs & puppies real food, people food if you will. I told her I wanted to know what to get because I am in agreement with her when she says that kibble is killing our canines. My fear for this idea is that I will not be able to get these things, I do not live on a farm. I am also quite the distance from any store.

Gloria- I am going to take your advise with towels, old sheets. I believe you just saved me much undue stress. I can see that I am over thinking her arrival. The fear that I will not give this animal the needs she deserves is crippling at times then I realize that like you said "this is not rocket science if she is doing something she shouldn't I will know it then ,correct her. The idea that she will most likely ( not guaranteed ) catch on rather quickly is a saving grace, lol saving grace, lol. anyway I appreciate you bringing me back to reality. I was under the understanding that I needed to run her every day etc, whew! Glad you wrote me about that one. If you don't mind I would like to call on you from time to time for a gentle reminder.

Mum24dog- My Vet doesn't know I will in 5 weeks have Grace. I know he will love her, he has told me once or twice how much he enjoys these animals. I am sure he will help me out. My Vet is a wealth of information but my only worry is that he is there to make money as well. I also believe he is a large animal more so than small. Yet another worry.

Teresaserrano- Knowing that your dog was also a mouthy little pup once eases my mind like you wouldn't believe!!! I hear her growling and barking more than the others, quite a bit more in fact, so much more that when she was filming the pups at 3 weeks, the dog in the background was barking and growling so much the Breeder said "who is making all that noise? Pan to Grace, of course.

Solo33- When are you getting your BC? Isn't it exciting???? I can hardly contain myself.

For healthy training treats see what the dog likes. Carrots, apples, cheese, hot dogs and liver are my favorite snacks for my dogs. Try to change it up so they are always interested. Blue buffalo makes great training treats that are small heart shapes. One thing I have learned is always give a treat reward in very small pieces. Dogs don't care how big the treat is. They just appreciate a treat. I cut small training treats even smaller.

Dear Ms. Roxadee,

You asked: "how to watch out for any possible warning signs of misbehaving."

If you and the pup are having fun in the world, she's not misbehaving. If she does something that annoys you let her know and she'll change. It is much less complicated than we who've wrapped our lives around these dogs like to pretend. La, what theories we have!

The truth is that at dusk outside every tiny Scottish village people are walking their beloved pet Border Collies and few of the owners, or dogs, have ever had a lesson.

Your dog wants to work with you. Be clear about what you want and be patient and you'll have a wonderful life.

Get a crate, a puppy collar with nametag (your ph & contact info) a light leash and you'll be good to go.

Donald McCaig

Have to agree in general with that approach until it doesn't work, and it doesn't always or there wouldn't be so many people turning up at training classes with dogs with issues or dogs in rescue.

Not sure about the romanticised picture of tiny Scottish villages though. I've witnessed the same in London and, dare I say it, with dogs that aren't BCs.

I would read up or attend enough classes to enable you to decide what you want your relationship with your dog to be.

Feeding your dog is also made harder than it needs to be. You don't have to devote your life to researching your dog's optimum diet.

Solo33- When are you getting your BC? Isn't it exciting???? I can hardly contain myself.

Solo will be 8 weeks on January 21st, so it will be right around then! We have less than 3 weeks to go! I am so excited. To keep busy, I've been organizing my house (so there will be less mess for him to get into!), reading websites, researching books, watching positive training videos on YouTube, clearing out the spaces that will hold all of his stuff, etc., and posting all of his cute pictures in his thread. I would love to see your puppy videos! I will try to take video of mine next time.