BC Boards

A quandary ... Should I keep my foster pup

I was told that I needed to wind up my well bred pup because he was too calm around the rings and at training. I didn't and thing have changed a lot.

I also recognised that he didn't seem crazy to work from the off when we started agility training. However, it was soon apparent that he needs to understand exactly what is wanted before giving it his all. He takes after his dad. His half sister / half cousin with the same sire takes after her mum - raring to go from the start.

Which will be better in the long run? Impossible to say.

Until this pup I would have said that I preferred a lunatic that needs to be controlled but I now find that having a thinker has its benefits too in terms of understanding the job in hand.

Looks like there is no rush to make a decision as the original potential adopters have dropped out, the plan is now to fly him to Germany and he would go into rescue there, as he is so cute I have no doubt he would get adopted very fast.

He is an intersting character, loves to know what we are doing, wants to know about everything, but he is not comfortable engaging with us in an active way, but loves a cuddle and actively seaks us out to touch and snuggle with. He is sitting beside me on the sofa at the moment.

I have the best of both worlds right now, my current dog was a laid back pup, and has grown into a laid back dog, but from the very beginning he wanted to engage with people, we can play hard and then just chill, his negative is that he hates to cuddle! I am not a great fan of crazy, but I like keen!

The border collies here are not been actively back yard bred, randomly bred might be a better description! And I have met some cool dogs that have been delibrately bred. In general though I have found the locally bred dogs are on the nervous side. They are used to help work sheep but there are very few well trained sheep dogs, they are mostly relying on natural instinct. The sheep graze olive/almond trees to keep the weeds down and so they are moved from field to field. Mostly these are part time farmers as the land here is not great and it would be hard to make a living. The breed often shows up in the municipal shelters either picked up or turned in by farmers, my last two fosters came that route, extra puppies, did not like sheep etc. I am not sure how this guy came into rescue but I think he might have "disappeared" from a finca in the north of the island.

The shelters here aren't great, but the rules are very different. The dogs are kept for at least a month if not longer, if they have a registered microchip, nothing can be done with the dog until the owner either collects the dog or relinquishes the dog. It does mean you get dogs in limbo but at least they don't put dogs down quickly and people get a chance to them back. A very high percentage of urban dogs are registered, basically any dog that goes to the vet, I think it is 10 euros and it is for life and it is a national database.

There are a number of german rescues who ship dogs there, similar relationship New England has to the southern states, but most are thrilled if the dog gets adopted locally as they then don't have to find a flight.

One thing I would think about is how will having this new dog affect your ability to do rescue. Would he put you at capacity? If so, do you want to retire as a rescuer?

Also, I put the honeymoon phase at 10 days to one month. I've found that those paragon-of-virtue rescues can suddenly get a light bulb and say, "Hey! I've got these folks wired. I can do whatever I feel like now!" If he still seems perfect at a month, well, you might have found your dream dog.

I agree with getting him thoroughly vetted. Hips, elbows, bloodwork, etc.

One thing I would think about is how will having this new dog affect your ability to do rescue. Would he put you at capacity? If so, do you want to retire as a rescuer?

We would still be able to foster, a new dog has been planned for awhile. I have always intended to get a puppy when Rievaulx was around 7, which will be in September. The only reason we are a single dog home is because Brody died young and we were already on planning on moving to Europe and where not going to get another dog before we came.

The problem is that if you have limited capacity you look for perfection and guarantees and the chances of being disappointed are quite high when you set the bar so high.

It's understandable and I've been there. I never wanted an unknown quantity pup however well bred on paper and then what did I do.....?

Plans are made to be changed.

Thank you everyone for your very thoughtful responses, gave me a lot to ponder. I had to make a decision yesterday about keeping him as another family in Germany wanted to adopt him and being such a young dog he needs to go to his permanent home as quickly as possible.

I took him to my agility club yesterday, being Sunday we were really just hanging out chatting with a little agility on the side and he was with all the other dogs, and my agility training partner and agility traveling companion picked up on the same thing we did, he just doesn't have that "spark" we have both fostered and even some of our scared dogs have still had that special border collie spice.

So he is going to be a "hund" if we could have 3 dogs he would be staying as he is a very special and lovely dog, and makes me melt every time he snuggles up to me, saying goodbye is going to be very hard but I think (hope) it is the right decision for all of us.

Pam I will be in touch, the hunt for a puppy begins!