BC Boards

Where to get martingales??

I really want a slip leash for Dazzy when she starts to compete in Agility, and I really want it to be a martingale. I have found plenty of them but not the rope kind. They are always flat nylon or something.

I would love to have rope so we could do some tug-o'-war outside the ring. The only problem is, I can't find that kind of leash!! I have seen them but can't see where people are getting them from!

These are the sites that I have found so far, is there a better place anywhere?:

(great except for the flat collar part)

http://www.gundogsonline.com/dog-leashes/b...dog-walker.html

(the "dog walker", third from the top - again, flat collar)

http://www.pupstuff.com/leashes.htm

(the last leash on the page- this is the best one I have found but I don't know which one it is for ordering!!!)

http://www.jandemellobordercollie.com/designerleashes.htm

I checked Clean Run too, but they don't have any martingales.

I don't know where else to look! :confused:

Originally posted by Kat's Dogs:

(the last leash on the page- this is the best one I have found but I don't know which one it is for ordering!!!)

I don't see it either, but there's an e-mail adress on the bottom of the page. You could ask them or order it that way (btw, nice BC on that page )

I didn't even see the email!!! :rolleyes:

its not just you that thinks that is a nice looking BC. It is a Hob Nob dog, the waiting list for those pups is is so long, if I asked for a pup now it would be YEARS and YEARS before I could get one! You should see those dogs work!

Back to the point, I forgot to ask before. On the last link, the leashes are about 15-20 dollars. Is that a high, low, or average price?

Kats dog

I use to use the slip leash but it chocked my dogs .They pull me to the agility ring,

Then they came out with stops so the leash could only close so much well my 38 lb aussie head will fall out and both my BCs 34.38lbs heads also fall out so we are back to reguler coolars and leshes.

we ended up with 8 leashes at $11-15.00 each that we hardly use.

They now have leashes that are also tug toys. Careful some agility ORG. will elimenate you if your dog runs and grabs it leash .TOY IN THE RING

I think its NADAC.

lol bobh

Seems like an average price to me. I paid about forty Euros (a Euro is a little over one dollar right now, I think) for the first leash I bought, and that, I think, was a rip-off :mad: .

I didn't have a clue what I was looking for and the shop owner talked me into buying something that would safely restrain a medium-sized dinosaur.

The other one I bought at a different shop for about 14 Euros.

I like the type of leash you are thinking about because they look so indestructable, but they are more expensive here, so I've made something similar out of climbing ropes I had lying about anyway.

One of our club memberes made our slip leads for a few of us that started out with her. It's just a peice of braided rope that you can pick up at any hardware store cut to your desired length and uses a key chain loop attached to the end to loop the lead. Works very well and is very tough. Blaze has been known to use it as a tug on occasion.

lease2005_1128_211451AA.JPG

I made a great lead out of polar fleece for about $5. I wish I had added a length of nylon to prevent stretching, but other than that it works well - pretty much the same design as the one Mutt posted, but w/ braided polarfleece instead of nylon rope. It wouldn't be too hard to make a martingale style I wouldn't think.

Both of those links look like the pretty good leashes!! (I might even make a spare out of fleece, I just fall in love with anything fleece....) Now Dazzy can have a Christmas present (actually, she already has a ton of stuff I saved for Christmas!)

And about her head being chopped of by the slip leash, she doesn't pull me to the ring - or away from it. She has really good controlled walking but still, I think that I would get one big enough so that it doesn't really choke her. Just to be safe.

Oh, and about the toy in the ring (it is NADAC that has that rule) I asked my instructor what I could do about that, and she said to just call the dog before that grab it. I tried it some and it worked really well (well, she did mess up the first time).

The slip lead I made out of polarfleece is wide enough that even if Maggie pulls hard into it, it doesn't tighten quickly and it doesn't seem to choke her at all; it is a little difficult to loosen though.

You might want to go to a few shows - often the vendors will have a variety of leads you can try on before buying and I've seen some really innovative designs - including one with a built in, slip off harness instead of a collar and one with a built in, wide, padded martingale collar!

Just checked Clean Run - they have a padded martingale/tug leash combo in the sale section for $19.95 plus shipping. Dunno if that might be what you were looking for; seems like a good price to me since the regular slip leads always seem to go for about $16.

At all the shows I go to (with the exception of the once a year Seattle Kennel Club dog show) they don't have vendors!

All the leahes I have found seem to have the very wide band on the actual collar part of the leash.

I got a show lead martingale for my shih tzu (it is VERY thin) and the collar band part is the same as the leash (a rope type material). I would LIKE to have a rope leash with a rope collar part too. I don't really know if they even make these because I guess it might be a little rough on the dog's neck.

It would be nice though if I could find one that is all rope, no flat band. But like I said, I don't know if they make them like that.

You guys, these are really easy to make yourself. I happen to know the folks that taught Janice how to make them and she's taken off with it.

We make 'em here all the time. Doesn't cost you more than a few bucks in fabric. You can find out how to do the braid on google and buy the hardware at your local hardware store.

Denise

The Crash Test toys are GREAT! Good friends of ours from flyball/agility, Keith is very creative and his toys and leashes are VERY durable.

The Tug Leashes have a flat collar part and are martingales . The dogs LOVE them!

I still have mine and it is a few years old, he will replace the fleece it you need it done in the future.

Cindy

http://www.bordercollierescueont.com

• 2 weeks later...