BC Boards

Flyball Video

Over the last weekend of October, Grace ran in her second full flyball tournament up at the Argus Ranch near Auburn, WA.

I don't really count her very first tournament appearance, as she turned in one perfect heat then decided it was safer to go around the jumps and the incoming dog for all subsequent attempts.

She decided to run perfectly at her next tournament, all weekend long, as well as at this most recent one, where she earned enough points for her FDCh and FDCh-S titles.

One of the gals on the team is an excellent videographer, and made a compilation video for each dog on our team at the Argus Ranch tournament.

Here it is, but please be aware that I did not choose the music:

http://www.rauhaus.org/~srau/gracesm.wmv

I also have video of a couple of heats here:

http://www.rauhaus.org/~srau/agents10-29-5.wmv

http://www.rauhaus.org/~srau/agents10-29-13.wmv

Hope you enjoy it...

Originally posted by Stafford:

Over the last weekend of October, Grace ran in her second full flyball tournament up at the Argus Ranch near Auburn, WA.

What great videos! It was nice to meet you and Grace. She is so cute! I thought she ran really well, and only wish that Wick could do half as well as Grace at the whole flyball thing. Alas, Wick thinks flyball is an individual sport and thus won't do her little laps if she has to run with other dogs. She's a diva, can you tell? :rolleyes:

Bear is running again next weekend at the trial in Abbotsford. We're going to try and break the 7 second barrier! LOL

Originally posted by airbear:

Bear is running again next weekend at the trial in Abbotsford. We're going to try and break the 7 second barrier! LOL

Go Bear! It was very nice meeting you & the dogs as well.

Our team is taking a break from competing during the Winter, but we're thinking about going to the Abbotsford trial that's coming up, in March I think.

It's just as well, as you can see from the videos that Grace's box turn has fallen apart, so we'll be doing lots of remedial box turn work in the meantime.

We're planning on co-hosting a tournament next Spring. We'll be doing it with the Muddy Paws team from down in Salem, and it will be once again at the Northwest Pet & Companion Fair at the Portland Expo Center.

Is that really Argus Ranch?

I have never seen it set up for anything but Agility (which I am going to this weeked by the way). It looks really different except for those silly green gates!

Great videos! I can't wait compete in Flyball!

Originally posted by Kat's Dogs:

Is that really Argus Ranch?

I have never seen it set up for anything but Agility (which I am going to this weeked by the way). It looks really different except for those silly green gates!

That was definitely the Argus Ranch. I don't have a lot with which to compare it, but it seems like a very nice facility.

I'll be going up there again on the 10th for the "Agilympics". We'll be on a beginner team, and hopefully won't be too much of an embarassment. We're not at all ready to compete, even at the novice level, but this sounds like a whole day of fun match-type activity, so maybe we'll be ok.

Originally posted by Stafford:

......it seems like a very nice facility.....

It is about to get nicer. In a week or two, they are going to put in HEATERS!!!!

Hurray! Also, platforms for the spectator chairs so they can see over the barriers.

Good Luck at your Agility Comp!

I noticed that you guys are running your tournament on dirt. How well does that work out? We've got access to several dirt arenas here in Colorado that we practice on, but we've never done a tournament on them. How do you guys prepare the surface? Do you have to shift lanes? For our practices we have the dirt rolled, but we still get fairly large holes in front of the box.

Dana Nichols

workinglabs@comcast.net

Greeley, Colorado

Originally posted by Dana Nichols:

I noticed that you guys are running your tournament on dirt. How well does that work out?

I really liked the dirt surface in the Argus Ranch barns. It was probably a bit too soft for really fast times, but I thought it was just about perfect as far as being easy on the dogs' joints.

It was pretty crucial to have a brush or little wisk broom to clean off the front of the box in between each heat, and the box loaders did a lot of foot-smoothing of the area right in front of the box. The lanes were raked smooth between races.

Oh, the crating-out area was also on the dirt, which made it pretty messy, even with tarps and quilts down on the ground, so that was one drawback.

Originally posted by CindyH:

Hey Stafford,

You're coming up for the Agilympics? What team are you on? I'll be sure to look for you. We're "Disney Princesses on Dirt" Just look for wacky costumes and you'll find us!! Daphne will be Ariel the Little Mermaid!!

I don't even know whether we have a team name...it will be a beginner team, and I'll be the most "beginner" member on it.

Sounds like it will be easier for me to spot you than visa versa, but our team will consist of my runty border collie, my agility instructor's young, very small border collie (with a suspicion that there might have been a cattle dog behind the woodshed in her ancestry), a border terrier, and I don't know who else...

Hey -- now that Fly and I are on a flyball team, we may actually run into you guys at a tournament, depending on how far south you go or how far north we go. I haven't decided yet how far I want to travel for flyball.

Originally posted by SoloRiver:

Hey -- now that Fly and I are on a flyball team, we may actually run into you guys at a tournament, depending on how far south you go or how far north we go. I haven't decided yet how far I want to travel for flyball.

Excellent! Maybe your team could think about coming all the way to Portland on April 22nd and 23rd - we'll be co-hosting a tournament in conjunction with the Northwest Pet and Companion Fair at the Portland Expo Center.

Mostly we head Northward for our Tournaments, as NAFA region 7 is Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia...

Sounds like it will be easier for me to spot you than visa versa, but our team will consist of my runty border collie, my agility instructor's young, very small border collie (with a suspicion that there might have been a cattle dog behind the woodshed in her ancestry), a border terrier, and I don't know who else...
Our team has two tri Border Collies, one Rat Terrier, and two Corgis (one Cardigan, one Pemmie)

We did the Agilympics last winter with the same team, it was a hoot!