BC Boards

Need advice on training to not jump up on guests...

Our Lileigh is almost 5-1/2 months old and is doing great, learning new things, adjusting well to new situations and surroundings as we take her with us in her crate in the van, etc...but in the "socialization" department, perhaps I'm expecting too much from an enthusiastic 5-month old??? The problem: She just loves people to death and in the excitement wants to just JUMP ALL OVER THEM when she meets them. How have you gotten your BC to just settle down a bit when they meet new people??? Am I expecting too much from her at this point?

Help!!!!

Marie,

Been through it many times with my young dogs, I have a 1 year old wiggle butt right now that loves people to death and would jump all over them if I'd let him.

Give her something else to do when she approaches people, make her sit, praise her and give a treat. As she approaches other people tell them to say "sit" praise and offer a treat.

It's hard for a enthusiastic youngster to settle, but nows and good time to start.

Dazzle had the same issue. She did really good about not jumping but when she hit the 4-6 month age, she couldn't hold it in any longer.

One thing that I did was ignore her, that only sort of worked. It did help though.

Then I went to doing a pretty hard jerk on the collar and putting her into a sit, that helped the most.

Now, if she does ever mess up, I just grab her paws stay totally still, not saying anything. I don't let go of her until she really needs to get all four feet back on the ground. Now, she only comes up on invitation.

Oh, one other thing that might help (if she doesn't know it already) is to teach her "paws up" (to jump up and put her paws on you) or whatever command you want to use. That way, she knows that she will sometimes get to jump up, but only when you say so.

Between all of that, I got a dog that doesn't jump up. She still does the whole wiggle-butt thing but stays on the ground! :rolleyes:

Jumping up? That's what 5 month old puppies do. I used to do the firm knee to the chest which, when done with just the right amount of pop, is not a bad correction. It works. But with my newer pup I did the "you don't get pet or touched or greeted until you sit." I think that works better. You just need to get everyone to enforce the rule, even guests. Teach it now and it becomes a lifelong habit.

Originally posted by GeorgiaBC:

You just need to get everyone to enforce the rule, even guests.

That is the hardest thing in my opinion, far more difficult than training the dog.

Kessie never jumps up on to me anymore, unless I've been away for some time and she needs to say hello.

But other people? "Ooooh, she's sooo cute, come here, sweety..." Somehow she never gets to meet those people after she's been rolling in the muck, which is a pity.

If you can make the guests understand that they have to turn away and ignore her for jumping, it shouldn't take her long to understand (says the person whose dog jumps up on everyone she likes :rolleyes: )

Yes, it's not me, it's our GUESTS I'm concerned about Sandra---Lileigh doesn't jump up on me!!!

I like your idea, "If you can make the guests understand that they have to turn away and ignore her..." Definitely think I'll try that approach.

Thanks very much to you as well as everyone else for your suggestions.

We trained our 2 girls that they have to Sit in order to get a greeting from humans. Jumps are ignored (by turning backs) or corrected if they are really obnoxious.

We try very hard with our guests/friends to get them to do the same.

Well, we sorta trained them--at 2 (Willow the Collie) and 2-1/2 (Tenaya the Border Collie), they almost always sit as long as we remind them right away, but then Tenaya, especially, still wants to jump up for a kiss. I think it's because my husband lets her do it part of the time.....

Deanna in OR

• 4 weeks later...

I've been trying to get my 8month old border collie to stop jumping on people. But he absolutely loves people. And animals.

I'm getting him to the point where he is understanding that he shouldn't do that but he is way to excited. He'll sit down and kind of jump then get down knowing he shouldn't then he can't take it anymore and BAM!!! He is jumping up.

I have tried to distract him by giving him a toy but when I do he goes to that person and tries to get them to play with it and he ends up jumping on them.

Another problem is most people who see him adore him and they love it when he jumps on them. They pet him and hug him and talk all nice to him and call him a "Good Dog". I'm sitting there like Damn what am I going to do. All I need is for him to find the 1 person in the world who doesn't like to be jumped on by my dog and they'll be claiming they were attacked.

What about shock collars?

Originally posted by smittie1984:

What about shock collars?

To stop him from jumping? I wouldn't do it, because he might think it's the person he was jumping on that gave him the shock, and he might lose his love for people and become scared of them.

No shock collars. Period.

Your puppy is still very much a puppy at 5 1/2 months (whata cutie,no doubt!). That's she's so happy to see people is a good thing but makes teaching her not to jump up harder.

I agree with those who say to teach her the correct or better way to greet people. My advice is to greet people with her on leash. Set this up. Take a couple Saturday afternoons and have friends, family, etc. repeatedly come up to her while you have her on leash. Before she can start to jump up on them and they greet her, calmly place her into a sit and tell her to stay. You'll have to hold on to her because Ms. Social Butterfly will find it very hard to contain herself! :rolleyes: She can only be petted and greeted when she's sitting calmly so everytime she squims or gets up, have your company ignore her and turn away. Remain calm and detacted and reposition her into the sit and try again. Repeat until she can stay sitting while they greet & pet her.

Then, everytime before answering the door to let company in, put her on leash, take her to the door and have her sit and stay so you can help her learn what you want. Fixing this will take time but at 5 1/2 months, your puppy has lots and lots yet to learn about life and you have a lot to teach her.

As to the people who hug and make over her when she jumps up on them.... sigh... they are tough! Some you'll never get through to, but maybe if you posed it as a training issue "I'm really trying to train my dog. Can you help me?", then explain what they need to do. Maybe they'll buy into it.

I wouldn't do it, because he might think it's the person he was jumping on that gave him the shock, and he might lose his love for people and become scared of them.
I second that! The last thing I would ever want to do is to have my dog associate people with anything unpleasant or painful. Teaching a frightened dog to trust people is a long, difficult process and you could end up with aggression issues.

It's tough to get people not to fuss over your dog when she jumps up, but it's better to find a way to teach the puppy to learn an alternate behavior to get the love from people - it can be done! And it's OK if it takes a while for her to completely "get it", too! One thing I've really come to realize lately is that good training takes time - sometimes quite a lot of it!

I never wanted to put a shocker on my dog. I feel that for many dogs it is a viable option. It worked for a buddy's dalmation but my dog is too intillegent for that. I love his playful personality and after a long day of moving 1000lb pool tables all day. I want my Best Friend right there jumping on me. I know people hate it but oh well.

I actually saw a woman at a leash free park here in Georgia in white pants. She comes in with her little... Well I'm not sure what it was but could fit in the palm of my hand. She looks at my dog and says. "Heeeeey Puppy!!!". That signaled to my dog. "Friend wants a kiss". He goes over there and jumps on her and got her pants all dirty. I was on the other side of the park and saw the entire thing. I thought I was about to purchase some new pants. But she laughed it off.