BC Boards

Purina Treat Product

geonni banner

https://www.dogtreatproductssettlement.com/

https://www.dogtreatproductssettlement.com/Content/Documents/Settlement%20Agreement.pdf

http://www.askavetquestion.com/news/2011/chicken-jerky-fanconi/

This is an FYI re: a Purina pet food product.

Awhile back I purchased a bag of chicken jerky treats (Waggin’ Train chicken Jerky Tenders) for dogs from a Grocery Outlet store. I was a bit hesitant to get them as they were made in China, but they were a Purina product, and a very good price, so I got them.

Reading the bag, I noted that it said ”Daily Maximum Number of pieces based on your dog’s weight - (for my dogs) 21-40 lbs., 2 treats.

Since the treats vary widely in size – 1” to 5” or 6” in length, this is a bit confusing, so I decided to err on the side of caution. The dogs really like them, but I noticed that one time after giving my younger dog 2 biggish treats in one day, she had a urinary “accident” inside. This is not consistent with her normal behavior. She also was paying a lot of attention to her “bottom,” and seemed surprised – not to say chagrined at her “accident.” There was no change in her stool.

The dog in question had no other changes in food or water intake in the immediate time period around her “accident.” I suspected the chicken jerky, so I stopped giving them to either dog. There have been no further “accidents.”

The websites above deal with the subject and were of interest.

I just read the comments from people. It sounds like this stuff can build up over time. Many people with little dogs had been giving them Wagging Tails chicken Jerky treats for several months. And then the dogs died of renal failure. And the company response was that the owners fed them too much.

I don't feed anything from China. A whole lot of rawhide chews also me come from China.

Tennis balls all come from China and who knows what's in those.

And you have to watch because it will be an American company but in small letters it will say it's made in China.

Tommy Coyote,

I share your reservations about pet products made in China, but I hate to judge an entire country on the problems I've heard about. There have been some pretty rotten things done by American and European countries too - look at Volkswagon...

I got curious about the whole tennis ball thing and came up with some interesting stuff.

http://atpeacewithpink.blogspot.com/2015/12/tennis-balls-my-liege.html

Intetesting. I got worried about my dogs toys a few years ago. I tried to finda tennis ball made in the US. Every single tennis ball I looked at came from China. Even the US made toys that had tennis balls had balls made in China. My dogs don't get tennis balls.

It was hard to find any toys not made in China especially at places like Walmart. And so many of the ones in the US were ropes of some kind and I don't think those are so great either. I was worried about the paint they used or chemicals in the rubber.

My dogs don't play with toys a lot so I don't worry about it very much. But the Chinese have a history of producing stuff with toxic chemicals in it. They just don't have the guidelines we do. And evything made for animals just doesn't have the same kind of regulations that products for humans do. Even dog foods aren't really regulated by the government.

Anyway I try to be careful.

Waffles, I was just thinking of trying one of the West Paw dog bones for Livi. Has your experience been that they're pretty universally appealing? Livi is chewing on everything she shouldn't if I turn my back, and I'm trying to give her more options. Tried a large edible nylabone thing (made in the USA, to keep this pertinent!) and she LOVED it, but it didn't last long at all. She doesn't seem like her elk antler lately. The bully ring gets some attention. She likes her kong if it's stuffed, but doesn't chew on it like I've seen some dogs do.

I have a SIL from China. She'll be the first to tell you that there are a lot more toxins in food there than there are in the US. And officials are easily bought off. I mean, we certainly have our fair share of issues with food and cronyism here in the US but it's not nearly as bad as the issues there.

The guy at the pet store was telling me that things like antlers and hooves should be for sometimes, not all the time, because they're harder than the teeth and will wear them down. I haven't looked into it since she doesn't chew on it much anyway. I got it because the rescue group had it on their Amazon wish list as a favorite chew for their dogs -- I figured it'd be something familiar.

I just read something about antlers being too hard for dogs. They break their teeth on them. I know they are all the rage right now. Has anyone else seen anything?

It depends on the antler. Deer antlers aren't as hard as elk antlers, I was told. We started out with deer antlers but they didn't last long with Faith. A weekend would go by and I was left picking up nubs. We moved on to elk antlers (yes, quite pricey). Two of them have had no issues. Tex did break a molar. At first the vet blamed it entirely on "those flippin' antlers". She told me after the surgery that had concerns about his teeth, that if she didn't know better she would swear he had Distemper at some point. I asked her to look back at his puppy records. "Well, I'll be damned..." Tex had Distemper when he was about 6-8 weeks.

I still let the girls chew on the antlers from time to time. And I have recently purchased hooves. They seem much softer and Tex goes wild for them. They are quite smelly though. No worse than bully sticks, which my dogs think are biscuits.

I hate the way those hooves smell. Makes me sick. And my dogs chew everything on my bed so those are out.

What I read is that at first vet's thought antlers were a good change. And then the dogs with broken teeth started coming in and they have changed their minds.

I buy those Milk Bone Brushing Chews for my dogs. I can't afford to give one every day but they get one every so often.

And my treats are Milk Bones and those are supposed to be good for teeth.

They kind of smell like rotten glue.

I tried one of those trachea things. Tommy ate it in 10 minutes and then was sick for 24 hours. So that didn't work. And my dogs do in a pig's ear in about 5 minutes. And those other chewy things for teeth just last about 5 minutes, too.

And we don't do marrow bones after Tommy for a slab fracture on a molar. That was several years ago and it hasn't ever gotten infected or bothered her at all but the vet keeps an eye on it.