BC Boards

Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (IMHA)?

mbc1963

My sister lost her old dog about 4 years ago, and she got two puppies that summer. One of the girls was fine on Sunday, and lethargic on Monday, and deathly ill yesterday. She's at the emergency vet clinic, diagnosed with IMHA, and a very grave prognosis.

Has anyone ever had a dog with this disease and a positive outcome? The disease is horrible, and the treatment is expensive and damaging in itself.

After losing my Buddy last February, I felt like we were going to have a long run of young and healthy dog time together between my new girl and my sister's two dogs.

Oh my. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Yes, I do know a dog with a positive outcome. A Border Collie belonging to one of my SAR team mates. He spent a week at Purdue University altogether and looked pretty bad for the first 3-4 days. Couldn't stand, wouldn't eat, barely acknowledged when his owner came to visit.

It took a few months to get back to fairly normal but he then went on and recertified as a disaster SAR dog.

He's about 9 now and still working. I think he's still on a super low dose of prednisone. And they avoid using heartworm preventative and flea/tick spot ons. Maybe no more vaccines either.

They have run blood tests for tick-borne stuff - around here (NE), our first thought with almost any illness is Lyme disease, because it's so prevalent. They said the tests came back negative for TBD, but they started the dog on doxycycline anyway, just in case. Also has had two blood transfusions and was stable as of this morning. Not sure how today went.

So weird. This can be triggered by eating a penny (zinc poisoning), onions... so many toxins... and then by apparently nothing at all. (My guess is doctors say "idiopathic" when it's been triggered by something they don't understand.)

Thanks Mara for a good story.

I work as a Vet Tech and for a while we had a run on autoimmune diseases. You certainly can have a chance at a good outcome but I would closely monitor that dog forever after (checking gum color every day.) No vaccines and limit any chemical exposure. Also watch the sibling. It seems to run in families. It's great they are giving the doxy anyway, certainly can't hurt. Good luck. Praying for a good outcome.

I also know of a good outcome. A friend's cocker spaniel had it. She spent several days at UT Vet school and ran up quite a bill but is still perky at age 12 now. I think it's been about 5 or 6 years since she was ill.

Best wishes for a positive outcome!

My sister's dog was doing a little better this morning at the animal hospital, but my sister got a call this afternoon that she'd had a downturn and was dying. They're driving to the vet now to have her PTS. Such a crazy, fast thing! Thanks all for the information. I'm better educated, if nothing else.

Because this is such a serious condition and can deteriorate so quickly, most vets will start treatment for IMHA and tick disease at the same time. You just don't have the luxury of waiting for test results or to try out different treatments.