BC Boards

Adaptil?

Has anyone used Adaptil or similar pheromone products? If so, what brand, what method of delivery (ie. collar, diffuser, wipes, spray), and was it helpful?

I'm going to be house/dog sitting for 8 days after Thanksgiving and Tansy's reactive. With my 2 dogs, there'll be a total of 10 dogs! 5 will be kept largely in the semi-finished basement and the dogs upstairs can be separated, but there'll still be a lot of back and forth and I want to try to lower the stress levels for everyone (including me!) as much as possible.

Any input will be appreciated!

roxanne

I used the feline version and it did a decent job with the cats. Tried the doggy version, it didn't do anything I could see. I believe that others on the Board have had better results.

As for the humans, red wine works wonders for me in the relaxation department. It does have side effects, though: laughing uproariously at something not really that funny and a slowed response time. The taste makes me forget the side effects, and luckily for me, it doesn't take a high dosage to achieve the relaxation part.

Ruth and Gibbs

My boy is overly excitable with dogs and interesting people (any person who acknowledges his existence), so the class trainer suggested using the collar to help him settle a bit in class.

It didn't work any miracles, but it definitely took the edge off.

I didn't even notice a change at first until I took it off.

If you do end up using the collar, you can prolong their use a bit by placing them in a ziplock bag in the fridge when not in use.