BC Boards

Using different trainers

KrisK

I'm pretty sure that isn't what I said because I have been interested in it as a possibility and it was a factor in choosing my latest dog. Can you find the thread?

Are you thinking of the one where I'd mentioned someone who had gone to a taster day and ended up a full time shepherd? Zero interest in making it my job maybe?

Dear Aspiring Sheepdoggers,

I think it is usually best for a novice to audit their first clinic. Worrying about one's own dog can reduce learning. Linda Tesdahl - who is a successful open handler attended clinics for 6 years before she bought her first Border Collie.

Donald McCaig

This suits my personality just fine. After all, it only took me four years of reading books, watching videos and reading this board to actually make it to a sheepdog trial.

Pam,

I don't think I could find a thread, but in a number of discussions in the past you have alluded to your lack of interest in stockdog training. No big deal if you changed your mind, after all people do that. I also remember posts from years gone by when you also didn't have much nice to say about working border collies, so I was a bit surprised (in a good way!) when you went and got one. Times and people change.... :)

J.

:) Practice walking backwards!

You know, the thought of not only walking backwards, but of walking backwards in a sort of figure 8 while keeping an eye on a dog AND a flock of sheep, leads me to believe this is a very good idea for those of us who may not be especially coordinated. I could see myself becoming a bit disoriented without at least developing some comfort level with the walking backwards part.