BC Boards

Steel vs. Alumnium Weave pole base

BigD

Hey agility folks -

Got a welder friend that will weld weave pole bases for me (too expensive to order online and ship to Hawaii) and lots of folks have requested alumnium bases.

However, there is some concern about the weld strength of the alumnium holding up the dowel inside the PVC. We've got some single-stepping power-weaving dogs that PLOW through these things. I'm worried that the AL. will snap (as is the welder).

Cost difference is almost triple for AL (more) just for materials. Steel is cheaper, will last longer (in terms of strength) but will rust quickly out here in the Pacific. (Painting them will help.)

Anyone out there have a power-weaver that uses Al. welded weave pole bases with the alum. dowel welded to the base? If so, have you ever had it break? Or known of someone that had it break?

Thanks!

Denise

Not sure why rust would be a problem. So what if the bases have a little rust on them? If you're concerned, just repaint them from time to time.

I would think aluminum bases would be too light, unusable unless very well staked down.

Can't say anything about bases, but I can tell you about the stakes I use on the windy and rocky plains while I'm backpacking. I learned real quick not to go for AL, they bend, snap, and just don't stay in the ground. Titanium is the way to go for backpackers, but you're interested in pole bases.

I'm willing to bet those dogs'll snap and bend those bases at the drop of a hat...I would go with steel...

Are you just using it as a weight then Barb? I can see that...sorta. I'm really curious as to how it works...

What I was wondering is if the pole is heavier on the bottom than on the top. And how thick is the spike? All my AL stakes bend really easily...

Okay...I'm really confused now...I just wasn't sure how they all fit together. I'm really new to this...for some reason, I thought the base fit into the PVC pipe and was either a really tight fit, or was held in with a screw, or even went through a PCV cap. I really need to look at one...

Hi, I do have a retired power-weaver (with poor form) who broke weave poles. He broke PVC poles three times when they were on steel bases. And, at one trial, he broke the base by getting caught up in the last pole and somehow pulling the base up and breaking it. I do not know for certain that the pole base was aluminum, but I know it wasn't steel. Don't know if this helps or not, but thought I'd share.

DSM

Just a point of clarity for some of the less-experienced readers of this thread (not BigD or dsm). Bashing through weave poles is not, properly speaking, "weaving", though it may qualify at a trial. Dogs need to be taught to weave their way between the poles (albeit at speed), not push the poles out of their way. The latter approach is hard on both the dog and the equipment :rolleyes: