BC Boards

Puppy Prep

Next Friday I finally get to bring home my first BC puppy. I bought everything I would need for her, except food (I can't decide which to buy).

I am currently unemployed and do not attend school due to some health issues, so taking her on walks and runs (when she's older) would be no problem at all.

I do plan on taking her to the park with me and small walks around the block, does anyone buy their pups shoes for small walks and park trips?

I would walk her around my house but a shed is being built in our backyard and the fence is being changed and cement being added in some places in the front yard. So basically my house is a construction zone so to speak and the only places to walk through is a good portion of the backyard for our two older dogs, but that has their houses, food bowls, water, etc.

I don't wanna keep her from getting small amounts of exercise, though i do plan on playing with her daily, I would like to take her on small walks to get her used to being outside and on a leash early on.

Since my house is off limits, would it be okay for me to get her some shoes and take her on small walks and to the park?

Thank you!

Why do you want to get her shoes? Is it because you are afraid that she will get germs? Or do you just want to protect her feet from abrasion?

In a pup of this age, short walks and playtimes will not be too rough on their feet (unless you plan on walking her on sharp gravel) so I wouldn't worry about abrasion.

If you are worried about picking up diseases before she is fully vaccinated, try to bring her to areas that are not frequented by unknown dogs. It should be OK to let her visit with dogs that you know are vaccinated and disease-free.

Why do you want to get her shoes? Is it because you are afraid that she will get germs? Or do you just want to protect her feet from abrasion?

In a pup of this age, short walks and playtimes will not be too rough on their feet (unless you plan on walking her on sharp gravel) so I wouldn't worry about abrasion.

If you are worried about picking up diseases before she is fully vaccinated, try to bring her to areas that are not frequented by unknown dogs. It should be OK to let her visit with dogs that you know are vaccinated and disease-free.

My main concern was abrasion.

I would not take the pup to any public dog places until it has had 3 series of vaccines. Even if dogs are not 'infected' they could still be carrying diseases that they can pass. You can also pick up things on your clothes and shoes that can affect him. I always err on the side of caution. Recently there has been an increase in parvo cases here

Ditto to staying away from high dog traffic areas until her shot series is complete. Also beware of dog parks in general. There are plenty of other posts on that topic.

As far as boots/shoes, unless you are walking pup near manicured lawns where there is a concern about chemicals or on hot pavement, they aren't necessary. Border collies run/herd/work on varied terrain day after day. Using boots would protect the feet, but also keep them from getting tough as nature intended, just as with horse shoes. Then you have a tender footed animal that's dependant on shoes on the slightest abrasive surface. Even bringing them up would get you some curious looks from working dog enthusiasts. It does make me want to ask why you decided to get a border collie.

Just to say that dogs can work out very, very expensive if anything goes wrong. As you are unemployed do look into getting health insurance for your pup. Don't leave it in case your pup needs to see a vet before you sort out insurance as insurance companies will exclude pre existing conditions.

Does your breeder give a few weeks free puppy insurance? Not sure if that happens over there. If you will be covered for a little while make sure you make arrangements to continue it before it runs out if you are going to carry on with the same policy.

How many dogs have you ever seen wearing anything on their feet? They're dogs and not humans. The pads on their paws protect them. Use common sense and take her for short walks around the block while she is so young. Introduce her to other dogs you know are vaccinated and know their temperament. Introduce her to people and walking on a leash. She will need at least two more rounds of distemper/parvo vaccines plus a rabies vaccine when she is around 4 months, depending on your state's law.

If you're family already has two adult dogs then look to your parents for guidance on what to do, how to house break, feed, and so on.

Hi and welcome! :) Congrats on the new puppy!

I'll basically echo what others have said. There should be no need of boots on her feet unless you're walking on sharp gravel. If it's super hot out, she shouldn't be walking on pavement at all. But border collies are working dogs and thus bred to grow tough feet. Plus if she's booted, you'll find yourself needing to trim toenails a lot more.

As for taking her out, I'll also advise against taking her out on public walks, or at least any place other dogs might have been, until she's finished her shots. The danger of parvo or something from unvaccinated dogs is just too high.

So, since your place is in upheaval, just be careful where you go. I'd avoid the park for now, since who knows what dogs go through there, and keep her off the usual beaten track as much as possible. Since she's very small now, the main things will be to bond with her and to occupy her mind. Give her lots of toys, lots of interaction, teach her how to be a citizen of her world. Give her rules and boundaries and structure. Teach her how to take time outs in a crate or x-pen, how to walk on leash, how to sit and lie down for treats, how not to jump on people, etc. By the time the construction is done, then she should be big enough to go out and about. :)

~ Gloria

Next Friday I finally get to bring home my first BC puppy. I bought everything I would need for her, except food (I can't decide which to buy).

I am currently unemployed and do not attend school due to some health issues, so taking her on walks and runs (when she's older) would be no problem at all.

I do plan on taking her to the park with me and small walks around the block, does anyone buy their pups shoes for small walks and park trips?

I would walk her around my house but a shed is being built in our backyard and the fence is being changed and cement being added in some places in the front yard. So basically my house is a construction zone so to speak and the only places to walk through is a good portion of the backyard for our two older dogs, but that has their houses, food bowls, water, etc.

I don't wanna keep her from getting small amounts of exercise, though i do plan on playing with her daily, I would like to take her on small walks to get her used to being outside and on a leash early on.

Since my house is off limits, would it be okay for me to get her some shoes and take her on small walks and to the park?

Thank you!

If the dog's paws got badly abraded from walks, then the owner took the dog onto surfaces it hadn't been conditioned to for too long a time. IOW, if the dog was used to being on grass in its back yard and someone took it for a several mile walk on hot asphalt, or even just on asphalt, then I can see why the dog's pads would have sustained injury.

People have to use common sense. ;)

Our first bc was an 8 month old rescue and even playing with him on the concrete of his kennel made his pads bleed. From his behaviour and the knowledge that he HD come from a family with four small children I suspect that he had never been taken out. Once I took that into account there were no more problems.