BC Boards

Unexpectedly Adopting

Well I did it. I took in a border collie in need. With all of Cricket's dwarfism issues, it's not really a good time to be getting another dog, but sometimes you just have to roll with it. (And Cricket's breeder is pitching in) Hopefully she'll have SOME instinct to herd. It doesn't have to be pretty. That's down the road. At least she doesn't appear to be afraid of livestock. I've just had her on leash with me when I do chores. Someone has sure beat the living bejesus out of this dog.

I like Jess/Jester, but when I looked at the pic Sparkle just popped into my mind. Spark's easy to say, and there's just something about her . . .

My 'I'm not looking for another dog story'. We had 2 b collies, didn't want another one, couldn't afford another one. I did spend some time looking at the local shelter websites, but never 'caught'. One day a friend told me about a bc at the county shelter, owner surrender, due to be put down the next day. I Could Not Get That Dog out of my mind.

So the next morning, I run into another friend who worked at a different shelter in my county. Told her I about this dog I couldn't get out of my mind. Turns out her shelter manager would be at a meeting at the county shelter that morning, and would ask about the dog.

My friend calls me, tells me the dog seems to be people friendly, he's young and enthusiastic. I check with my then husband, who says well don't let them kill him! Called friend back, she got her manager to transfer the dog to their shelter, they placed him with us as a foster home, and she delivered him to my doorstep at about 8 that night.

Buzz turned out to be a massive foster failure, like within 2 days. He changed our lives, literally. We never regretted it for a minute, and I've never felt that way about another dog I've looked at on the Web.

That's a long-winded way of saying I'm glad you got her, and that you're changing HER life. Best of luck, I'll be rooting for you!!!

Ruth and Gibbs

Good luck and thank goodness those people surrendered her so she could find a safe home with you!! :wub: I had a rescue dog growing up and he too acted as though he must have been beaten. He lived for 15 years and even as an old man he would still get shy if a hand went too quickly towards him. He was the best dog I have ever had though.

I like the names! Only problem is my first border collie (mix) was named Jessie. She got me started on this road...

Jessie, Molly, Swift, Cash, Ace, Roxy, Cricket, and now this one. Swift, Ace, and Roxy are my sister's, but I still include them.

I hear you, urge to herd! I got one off of death row too. I named her Sway. She was big for a female, and a little eye. She was the most laid back bc I've ever been around. This older couple came to visit her, and she just clicked with them! I've never seen a match so perfect. I got a card from the wife saying that her husband had passed away. Then less than 6 months later, Sway did too. She had cancer too. The husband knew, but never told her. He didn't want her to know that she was about to lose both of them. I was bawling.

I've worked with abuse cases before, so we'll work it out. It just takes time. She definitely has some separation anxiety.

Congratulations and kudos for giving the poor scared girl a safe and loving home.

As for name suggestions, a picture might help. ;)

ETA: Didn't see the other thread when I posted this, so copying it here. She's beautiful.

I think a nice, upbeat, happy name she can grow into would be great . . . actually, I kinda like Happy!

I don't know why it double posted and without pictures. Go figure!

Happy would be something to work toward. I had her in a crate while I was working the other dogs today. She screeched every time I walked away. Cricket looked at me like "if you don't shut her up I'll kill her."

The name picking is made harder by her wariness hiding her true personality. She is a sweetie pie, but it may take a while for her true self to shine through. It doesn't help that I'm watching three extra dogs for the week due to a friend having to travel because of a death in the family. She likes them, but they really lack in manners and I'm having to scold them for one reason or another.

Don't worry about finding her name right away. You'll find it when it's right.

I renamed Bodhi almost a month after I adopted him. The name I tried giving him was perfectly fine, but it wasn't quite right, for either of us. Then I went to a retreat with my favorite Buddhist teacher. He translated "bodhi" as "enlightened or love" (it's generally translated as "enlightened" or "awakened"). I know instantly that that was his name, and when I came home from the retreat and tried it out, he responded as if it'd been his name all his life. He knew it was the right one, too.

So just call her "puppy" for right now . . . you'll find her name soon enough. ;)

The name picking is made harder by her wariness hiding her true personality. She is a sweetie pie, but it may take a while for her true self to shine through. It doesn't help that I'm watching three extra dogs for the week due to a friend having to travel because of a death in the family. She likes them, but they really lack in manners and I'm having to scold them for one reason or another.

What about "Sweetie"? :) Even temporarily, that's a gentle sounding name.

Here are some from my evee-growing short list:

Lady

Dutchess

Nova (I just don't like that it starts with a No)

Kersey

Shady

Adele

Middy (Midnight)

Joey (the singer battling cancer of Joey and Rory)

Ada

Cassie (constellation)

I need something different from my other dogs. I do need them to respond individually. I have:

Rocket

Arya

Tessa

Pilot

Lexie

Cricket