BC Boards

Canine Cranial Proprioception Deficit (CCPD)

Yes. I just made that term up.

My 317 day old smooth coated male has, so far, failed to grow out of this disturbing pattern of incidents. Specifically, about five times per week I observe him whacking the side his head/snout into brick walls, tree trunks, interior corners (270° type) or one of my shins. This always happens immediately after he has swiveled his head nearly 180° backwards to look at something behind him while moving forward. It is when he whips his head back into nose front position that he sometimes makes contact with inanimate objects. It’s kind of odd as his vision is seemingly as keen as a hawk’s and there is no other evidence of a dyspraxic-like general lack of coordination.

So far, he has not hurt himself and never utters a cry when these things happen but I can tell you from some of the shin contact incidents that that he packs a pretty good whack. In fact, I have been known to utter a surprised yelp of my own on contact.

Is this a normal BC trait? Will he grow out of it? Should I be concerned?

Hmmm...I have seen plenty of dogs, young and old, whack their heads when looking in one direction and moving in another, but not any one dog with great frequency. I think I'd have him checked by an opthalmologist simply because of the frequency of these incidents. I would wonder if he has a problem with peripheral vision, and that would make me wonder if he has PRA or something similar.

J.

There is not a veterinary ophthalmologist within 100 miles of this fair city of half a million souls.

For now, what is the difference between PRA and CEA? I don't think he has either but some sites use the terms interchangeably and others describe what sound like two very different things.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag470/fyoung1111/PA270005_zpswvikpuqr.jpg

I also have a dog who suffered from CCPD. :)

Up until he was about 14 or 15 months old he was the biggest clutz on the planet. He'd slip and fall if there was any dew on the grass. He'd look behind him and trip on something right in front of him. And he very regularly whacked his head on objects. He has no vision problems, just young dumb boy problems. :)

Have him checked out if you think it's a problem, but I don't think I'd be incredibly concerned. Mine grew out of that stage. But by all means, do whatever lets you sleep at night!

PRA (Progressive Retinal Atrophy) and CEA (Collie Eye Anomaly) are very definitely 2 different things. I wouldn't trust anything any website that uses the terms interchangeably said. :blink:

There's lots of good info on each of these diseases to be found on the internet. Just look for credible sites they same way you would if you were looking for info on a human condition.

ETA: There's also and article here on the Boards, written by a prominent canine ophthalmologist: http://www.dogstuff.info/retinal_disorders_in_border_collies_acland.html

I wonder if this is a big doofus male puppy thing, because I've know a few young males of different breeds that were like this as teenagers, but I haven't known a female to be the same way. They do grow out of it after a while.

Thanks Gideon. I hope so. His doofusness is part of what makes him so charming but would be happier if he knew where his snout was.

Every time we go to the park he makes 2-3 new human friends an +/- one new dog friend. Thinking about running him for President. Most charming guy in the USA.

I wonder if this is a big doofus male puppy thing, because I've know a few young males of different breeds that were like this as teenagers, but I haven't known a female to be the same way. They do grow out of it after a while.

Natasha will run into people on a regular basis but she never runs into anything else. I have always wondered if she knows that running into humans won't hurt so there is no point in avoiding us. On the other hand my GSD (male) used to run into everything when he was younger. I often worried that my house (or his skull) wouldn't survive his puppyhood.

Thanks Gideon. I hope so. His doofusness is part of what makes him so charming but would be happier if he knew where his snout was.

Every time we go to the park he makes 2-3 new human friends an +/- one new dog friend. Thinking about running him for President. Most charming guy in the USA.

He sounds so sweet. I have a friend that has a golden retriever who is the same age as my Natasha (19 months) that she is raising to be her service dog. He is such a nice boy and in so many ways is more mature than Natasha. But he can really be a doofus at times and that is what makes him so charming.

My male, Tex will be nine in a couple months. He STILL runs while looking backwards. He's run into all kinds of things. Trees, fences, the end of a dock. Goofy boy. He's gotten better at heeding my "watch out", but he just doesn't watch where he's going.

My youngest female...now she's smart. I've noticed that when I throw a toy outside she watches the ground for a shadow.