BC Boards

Leggy runners

Arui

Well, I'm not too sure if Aarka's legs are actually over the limit of normality, but I do know that she's FAST. I would very much enjoy training her in something less expencive than agility, especially since there are no competitions/trainers in Kansas that I've heard of. One thing I was considering is frisbee, since Aark prefers chasing a frisbee to a tennis ball. She's a real jumper too, so I'd like to get her into the habit of a better sport than counter-top surfing. At six months, I've trained her almost to the point of being very smooth in her obedience, but just in case, I've been going to a young-dog trainer for further help. Anywho, if anyone is involved or could help me get involved in frisbee stuff, that would be awesome.

Just a little word of warning - at 6 months, especially if she's leggy, you don't want to be putting too much pressure on those legs, either with frisbee or agility. Many trainers recommend waiting till the growth plates have closed before you start putting stress on the legs by jumping/leaping to catch the frisbee, fast turns etc.

Here's leggy! Hubby's pup at about 8 mos old . . .

HacRaceJen.jpg

More action. You'll notice my older dog is pretty long-legged too - they are related - Ben looked like this when he was young . . .

HacJenBen.jpg

We are not even doing much with the sheep at the moment. I want to be very careful with him, that his physique has the chance to develop naturally through free play and walks and swimming, before we put training stress on him.