BC Boards

It's about time!

In 2016 the FBI is going to reclassify animal abuse as a Class A Felony. I am so very happy that this is finally happening. It is a big step, long overdue.

It will also be possible to report animal abuse directly to the FBI on a hotline.

And, there is a petition circulating to make it mandatory that individuals who are convicted of animal cruelty be registered in a similar way as sex offenders are.

I have pasted the information from The Animal Rescue Site here:

The FBI recently announced that animal abuse will be prosecuted as a “crime against society.” This classification will go into effect in 2016 and means those who harm animals will be placed in the same category as murderers and arsonists. The delay until 2016, while frustrating, is due to a need to update databases, revise manuals and send out new guidelines. Government progress always involves a lot of paperwork and a long wait, but in the case of combating animal abuse, it is progress none the less.

If you agree that animal abusers should register on a public offender site, similar to the current sex offender national registry, please sign the petition at the site below....

I was thinking something along those lines, too, Debbie.

You know there are people who consider crating to be abuse? And allowing dogs to sleep outside - even livestock guardian dogs and such?

I'm all for bringing the law down on people who are beating up animals and torturing them and so forth.

But . . . this could end up biting some of us at some point.

Depending on your situation and what you do with your dogs it can be pretty scary what is getting passed in some states that is deemed abusive.

There are some states that you don't dare leave a dog in your car, even with the AC on. We talk about it taking the dog trailer places or when we trial and go to tie out dogs, is there a law in this state that would deem our dog trailer unsuitable or the chains illegal? While our dogs are anything but abused while in the dog trailer or chained, laws are getting passed that would allow some to have issue with the practices and in turn have abuse charges brought up.

It's getting to where in some cases you may even think twice about even taking your dog off your property.

Seems to be plenty of people who would stop at nothing to destroy your life in the name of what they believe in

Most DA's are going to offer a plea of a misdemeanor as most charges never go to a jury trial. Also, many states already have felony animal cruelty laws but it is historically very difficult to get anyone convicted. A felony can cost someone their job or future job eligibility, their right to vote, own a gun and so on. I am not defending animal abusers but felony charges for animal abuse is going to be reserved for the worst of the worst not just any and all animal abuse. Even then, a DA, defense attorney and a judge will probably do their best to get it down.

Locally last month a 20 year old was charged after beating his husky with a PVC pipe. Both him and the dog were covered in blood when police arrived. Reason given was because the dog didn't listen. He is charged with misdemeanor intentinally Injuring an animal. He will most likely agree to a plea and pay a fine and maybe community service.

Last year a man was charged with aggravated animal cruelty which is a felony in NYS. He was acquitted. He beat his GSD with a 2x4 then dragged him into the basement and shot him. Said it was self defense.

I have read countless stories of horrible abuse to animals (we had a pup set on fire with gas locally), dog fighting, horrific conditions at breeding operations and many times people are just forced to surrender the animals and maybe a judge will enforce a ban on owning an animal for x years. When a "boarding kennel" was busted for having dozens of dead animals in their freezers, buried outside and dozens more in horrific conditions but still alive, they were convicted of misdemeanor charges after pleaded down from felony charges.

A lot of times severe abuse goes on for many years without anyone intervening because there is not enough probable cause to go inside or on the property to check. I think early intervention is key. We had a huge story here with many horses starving and dead in stalls. Neighbors reported the conditions years before any law enforcement was able to get onto the property. It was totally preventable.

Debbie.

That is true. The laws that I want strengthened are the laws pertaining to physical abuse of an animal such as cutting off it's nose, wrapping duct tape around it's nose and mouth for two days, starving them so that the only weight they carry is the bone and organ weight, putting it in a crate and throwing it in a ditch on the side of the road,and if you leave a dog tied up outside with no water, no food in 100 plus degree weather then you are abusing the animal. Sorry. I don't want laws to say you can't leave your dog in your car with air conditioning, I don't want laws that say you can't chain your animal outside for short periods (even thought I totally disagree with chaining at all). I want the perpetrator that is physically abusive to have the same treatment he gave that living breathing mammal. Because that very same person, IMO would be willing to do the same thing to a small child that didn't do their bidding. That's what I want changed.

This comes back to the discussion of do we need more laws or do we need enforcement of the current laws? Those breaking the laws don't suddenly become model citizens when new laws are passed, instead we end up making more law breakers, in many cases dragging some down that didn't deserve it.

Frustration that the current laws are not enforced or prosecuted shouldn't be vented by trying to pass more restrictive laws.

The wheels of justice turn slow and for the most part we really should be grateful of that for one day we may find ourselves caught in between the cogs.

Here is a link to many Iowa Abuse cases that include what the judgement and penalty was, a person can go further to see what the total possible fine or judgement could have been to determine if the judge applied maximum or gave leniency. One of the assessments a person could make is that the problem isn't the laws, but instead that the jurisdiction isn't prosecuting to the fullest degree. The lays at the hands of the persecutors and judges http://www.iowafedhumane.org/crimes.html

"I want the perpetrator that is physically abusive to have the same treatment he gave that living breathing mammal."

So then are you all for capital punishment? Shouldn't the same be held true not only for abuse but also death, not just to animals but also toward other human beings?

Having been harassed by police officers when I left my crated dogs in the car in the shade in 65F weather with shade cloths in use and windows down, I worry about these newer animal abuse laws. More and more I am worried about traveling with my pets. People are getting crazy. It's cruel to use crates. It's cruel to leave them in the car for even a few minutes. It's cruel to use dog boxes or trailers. It's cruel if they don't come inside at night. It's cruel to tether them for even a few minutes. It's cruel if you don't treat your dogs like little children, dress them up, let them run loose, go to daycare and serve them home cooked food.

On the flip side, there is a link between true animal cruelty and abuse (killing, mutilating, beating, etc) and violence towards other humans. For that reason I would like to see kids who abuse animals flagged, followed and treated so they don't grow up to commit mass murder.

there has been some debate about that link, there has been quite a bit of discussion that that link has not actually been proven and is a constantly repeated myth that has eventually turned into a assumed fact.

Anyway, just saying that it has been debated and discussed and have not seen the actual scientific data or study that proves the theory. But it certainly is a great reason if it were true to push for the registries and such, but....is it?? really?.

Example of that discussion....

"What should we make of such wanton cruelty in children? It is a childish prank or sign of deep-seated psychopathology that will someday erupt into far worse violence against people? Researchers who study human-animal interactions are divided over the causes and consequences of animal cruelty. Many anthrozoologists argue childhood animal cruelty is a good predictor of later violence against humans (see, for example, here(link is external)). Others, however, believe that the link between animal cruelty in children and adult violence is not very strong For example, contrary to popular opinion, most serial killers and school shooters do not have documented history of animal abuse. (See here(link is external) and here(link is external).) Further, childhood animal abuse is surprisingly common in the general population. A review of two dozen research reports(link is external) found that 35% of violent offenders had been animal abusers when they were kids–but so had 37% of men in the non-criminal “normal” control group."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/animals-and-us/201309/animal-cruelty-and-the-sadism-everyday-life

Dear Doggers,

Problem: many in the anti-animal abuse people are -as my friend Vicki Hearne noted - only interested in animal pain - while animal folk (stirred up by agribusiness and the AKC) presume legislators are utterly stupid and never owned a dog. So we get: ANIMALS ARE HURTING vs DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO YOU ANIMAL IGNORANT VEGETARIAN BASTARD.

Fortunately we are blessed with legislators who don't get elected for their animal beliefs, sometimes have animals and have more powerful nut lobbies to deal with. I think it is extremely unlikely that any seriously restrictive stockdog ownership will become law in any state in the union.

Unfortunately more animal savvy legislation is also unlikely to pass.

Donald McCaig

Please be careful assuming that the legislators understand.

Last year I sat down and had to explain to a long time representative in our state with a strong agriculture background that not everyone goes to the neighbor and to the newspaper to buy their next puppy. He was shocked to hear that we fly puppies on airlines or that we can arrange transport.

It is very well worth while to meet with legislators to help them understand how and what we use our dogs for and what methods of care, housing and such are important to be preserved and why, so that they don't accidently vote for legislation without realizing the effects. Many do not understand the world of stockdogs. More and more are being voted in that have no agricultural background. Seeing it first hand in our large and important agricultural state.

I'm a bit leery of the idea that animal cruelty is bad because the abuser may go on to abuse other humans. Isn't the cruelty done to the animal enough to make the action bad?

I can see how zealots and humaniacs can ruin things for people with more sense doing right by their animals in ways that offend others. But the same is true with other laws. Here in California you can come home to find your children gone because someone made a scary report to Child Protective Services. Same with elderly people. I'm not saying it happens all the time, but it does happen, especially to people of color.

Re: animal cruelty statues, I would feel nervous about the wording of laws. Are you knowingly placing your stockdog in harm's way by send it to work stock? On a hot day? On rank stock? Of course you are, but it's part of the job, just as it is for the danger a Police dog, Seeing-Eye Dog, Search and Rescue Dog or Military dog faces. You do your best to minimize the risk to a working dog, as you do to minimize the risk you face by working livestock yourself. That's only common sense. Unfortunately, it's not common to find a bunch of common sense in the language of laws.

And then there's the livestock itself. I personally am against confining sows to farrowing crates for years, or killing dairy cows after one or two lactations. But will writing laws on these issues lead to a police state on the farm and the eventual outlawing of stock-keeping at all? It's certainly possible. I'm sure the people backing in-vitro meat-producing factories would love that.

The people affected by both pet and livestock laws must be pro-active and seek fair laws that have enough bite to be effective enough to curb unnecessary suffering, but not so "blind-blanket" as to be stupid and crippling to those who seek to treat their stock well. It's a PIA, but it should be done, or we could find ourselves on the wrong side of the bars.

I am not saying that they will....just makes me wonder that if they would this to a helpless animal, what about small children that are also helpless? How do we know they aren't doing it to children? How much abuse goes on in the home that is never talked about? Do they do this because they can? I don't know. And maybe I am too much "heart" about animals being deliberately hurt. And that is what I am talking about. Deliberately torturing or hurting an animal.

I will bow out of the conversation because I think that what I am wanting for the laws has nothing to do with what this conversation has turned into.

Thanks for listening.

Teri