BC Boards

Dwarfism?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like and tend to trust the vets that actively look for other opinions. They are the ones that don't think they are the answer to everything and want to keep learning more. This one sounds like a keeper.

That sounds much more hopeful!

For what it's worth I have a dog with severe bilateral luxating patellas (grade 3 and 4) and she's 6 1/2 without issue and without surgery. My vet and the other vets I have spoken to tell me it is very up in the air whether dogs have issues or not with them. They only recommended surgery on dogs that are in pain not simply because they had luxating patellas.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got to talk to him finally. He talked to the other consulting vet and they agree that surgery may at some point be necessary. It would involve putting halo devices on both front legs, and yes, would be in that $10,000 range. For right now, they don't see a lot of benefit to it, especially if it ends up not being necessary. For now we are monitoring her with xrays every six weeks. If we start to see steps in the elbow or increasing twisting, she'll have to go in.

That's what the halos would do. They are able to manipulate and brace the bone. Unfortunately it's not anything they could do with a simple splint type brace. They may have to go in and cut the bone. He said that he's seen a lot of elbow dysplasia cases that were at their worst at 18 months to 2 years old, then they adapt to it. He has no way of knowing if that will be her future or not. I am trying different fundraising ideas. I was going to raffle off one of my 2016 nubian goat kids, but apparently it's illegal to do so in PA. I'm very frustrated and disheartened.

Glad that surgery is not needed immediately and maybe never...that is what I will be wishing for you and her. Also glad that you have a vet you can feel comfortable with and is willing to seek out others that have more experience. Those vets are hard to come by, at least in my experience.

I'm just so worried. I watch her everyday for signs of things to come. She was limping this morning, so I thought maybe the two walks I did with her yesterday were too much... But now she's not. I think she just gets stiff when she's in her crate too long. She goes to work with me, but I leave her in her crate until I finish morning feeding. I just ordered a joint supplement and I'll remember to get her out and let her move around sooner.

Well we started the week off on the right foot. She certainly seems a lot more comfortable with the changes I've made. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I'll take it. :) She's got a lot of pep in her step. After the week I've had, it was a much needed sight!

post-9469-0-17631400-1446481093_thumb.jpg