BC Boards

First Agility Trial

Cass C

I'm really excited, my trainer told me I will be ready to start competing in time for the November trial! I was wondering if anyone has any advice for things I need to bring or do that people always seem to forget about. I know November is over a month away, but I want to be prepared.

I've been to trials before as a volunteer, so I know the basics of a crate for the dog, a dog toy, snacks, water, collar, leash, Poop bags, and a blanket or rug to lay down since the arena is an indoor dirt ring. Anything I'm missing?

Also on the topic of crates does anyone have a favorite type/brand of soft sided crates? I'm going to be purchasing one and want to make sure it's one that will last and work well.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

What are thoughts on a soft x-pen type containment with a zipper roof vs an actual soft dog crate? Is there a real benefit to using one over the other?

ETA: Lily is crate trained so that is not an issue. I'm just wondering if the extra space would have a benefit for her or not.

It really depends on the dog and the owner and how much time you're going to be with her, and how stressed out she's going to be by all the activity around her. For me, I just use a crate and take the dog out before the run, potty her and spend some time with her and we're good. Too much time out and moving around and watching and she goes flat. Another dog, one that stresses high, or has an owner who isn't hanging around their set-up because they're volunteering in ALL THE THINGS might benefit from a little more room.

I will say that space can be at a premium at these things and trying to give your dog 6 feet when you get a total of 10 (maybe, sometimes) can be awkward, but that's another thing altogether.

just a quick thought- some trials do not like x-pens for just one dog. it takes up a lot of space when crating areas can be tight. I use one when I travel with all 3 dogs, but use a soft sided crate or/and a pop up tent when traveling with 1 or 2. carry on.