BC Boards

Slentrol- anyone seen it used?

simba

Opinions on it? Just looking to start the usual opinionated, philosophical discussions we all know and love.

I do understand the 'just feed your dog less, you idiot' argument. I used that approach myself with great success, and it's hard not to look down my nose a little at people who won't take such a simple approach (full honesty here!).

On the other hand I've heard of cases where someone in the household refused to stop feeding the dog (maybe couldn't- dementia), I've struggled with that myself and had to cause a few ructions in order to get people to stop feeding them. I can perfectly understand people not being able to do that or comfortable with doing that. And I can see it being helpful if the human is genuinely distressed by not being able to feed the dog as much- though would they just then be distressed by the dog not eating as much?

Personally there are one or two dogs I'd love to be able to throw a bit of slentrol over the wall to (although I wouldn't given the obvious ethical issues). "We took her to the vet to see why she wasn't moving around and had got so quiet and inactive, she's just old." is not an adequate excuse for a 10 year old dog. She's not old. She's seriously overfed.

It makes it a lot harder to bite my tongue when the person with the obese dog is the same one who kept taking off my dog's collar to 'fix' the fit, because 'it's choking her' (no point asking them not to, there's no-one listening), or keeps saying "You will remember to feed your dog today?" And fed her without permission after being asked not to. Grrr.

I have just been going thru this needs to lose some weight thing with Tommy. She needs to lose 5 pounds.

I cut her food back from 2 cups a day to 1-1/2. I also started her on Fromm Weight Management which is about 40 cal. a cup less than regular Fromm. So all total she is getting 250 calories a day less than she was. I was just sure she had lost a couple of pounds. Just had her to the vet Sat. and she hasn't lost an ounce.

She runs all over the place when she is outside. I don't know what to do next. I guess I will try cutting her food down another 1/4 a cup. I don't think she will even notice the difference if I do that.

It's hard when you have an easy keeper.

Tommy Coyote- apples, green beans, broccoli stems can all help both dog and human feel like the dog is getting a bit more and a bit of a 'treat'.
Weighing can also be more accurate than cups. Might help some. Some dogs just need very little food. Presumably the vet would suggest thyroid tests etc. if they thought there was need.

I am inordinately happy over the fact that you can look at your dog and say 'oh well, she's a bit heavy, I'd better do something about it.' Sometimes I feel like that's not common.

I wish I could help my on-laws dog. Both are overweight but the lab is twice what he should weigh. A healthy weight for him is probably 70 tops, and he weighs 150. It is gross and sad at the same time to see him. They free feed the dogs and laugh when he eats the other dog's food. They feed Ol'roy and they get little to no exercise other than being let out into a backyard where they just relieve themselves.

They know he is fat, the vet has told them he needs to lose weight or he won't live long, but they just can't seem to put two and two together- our behavior is making him fat and we can control his weight of we do something about it. They act like there is literally nothing to be done about his weight and it's just the way it is...even though the vet has explained otherwise and so have I.

I could maybe see using this medicine if a really obese dog like my in-laws came into rescue and they used in in conjunction with exercise and controlled feeding. Maybe to help speed the process in a healthy way to get the dog's quality of life back.

I have a friend with a schnauzer who takes him on long walks and hikes daily and barely feeds him anything (all of his food is used for training) and he doesn't lose weight. The less she feeds him, the less energy he burns.He almost never runs and he can walk for hours in a calm, efficient gait. She tried to teach him to swim and he refuses. He's had his thyroid checked, etc. He just seems to have a set point.

Hes not grossly obese at all, but too heavy. Its weird. I could see this helping her.