BC Boards

Success at last (brag alert)

Just had to brag on my little Kirra. We finally got our third Novice Jumping pass yesterday to get her JD title - in fact she had 2 first place Qs yesterday. (We won't talk about her agility runs where she missed contacts, popped weavers, and I wrong coursed her - duh.)

She's a seriously fast little dog, and needs much more handler than she's got - but she's stuck with me, so I just have to try to be a better handler for her. Fortunately, from her sheep work, she's comfortable with working at a distance. I just need to get my brain to work faster.

Hey Barb,

Congrats on your JD title - only just saw this post. Now for that ever elusive AD - I know Ness had her JD in like 3 weekends of trials but that AD took forever and her ADX is taking equally as long, already has her JDX and 1 leg of her JDM (although it does help if you actually enter trials lol). Only entered like 3 trials this year - got the Adelaide Royal coming up next week but unless her leg improves we won't be doing anything.

Sally and Ness

Thanks Sally. Yes, I can see that AD is going to be much tougher. We only started trialling in agility a few trials ago, and I've got to say we've got a lot of contact work to do.

The JD would have come quicker if I hadn't kept making handling errors - we had a lot of near misses.

We've got an agility workshop weekend coming up - really looking forward to that.

So what's wrong with Ness's leg - and do you think she'll be better for Adelaide Royal?

You are doing very well then as for Ness's leg well I am just not sure whats up. She has been rested since last Thursday - yeah a hard ask with a BC. She got a short walk tonight as she hasn't been limping and she is about 90%. She didn't limp at all however I was about to think it had totally gone away and then bam - leg went up again (its like a reflex action). I stopped stretched it a bit and carried her half the way home then when we were nearly home I put her down and she didn't appear lame. Totally frustrating. Probably at this point in time I will just run her anyway. She will not doubt go crowd surfing so I am not exactly trying for a qualie. We shall just go and have a bit of fun I think. Hopefully the leg will hold up.

Sally and Ness

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Sparty. We had our first run in Open Jumping this weekend - trashed the first time out in the morning, but in the afternoon, she was doing beautifully until I started counting my chickens at the second last jump and let her go off course. :rolleyes: Darn it! And she was under course time too! Still, we got compliments from the judge and his wife on a good run, so that was encouraging. We won't talk about the Novice Agility runs - we have some serious contact work to do - and weavers. Though I'm proud to say she got her 12 weavers beautifully in Jumping in the afternoon.

Hope the weather was better in Adelaide than here. We had light rain and cold winds virtually all day. I know we need the rain, but did it have to rain on a trial weekend?

Hey Sparty,

Yeah I did happen to go and watch the flyball on Saturday but its soo noisy and I think I saw the Ballerat team race a few times - is that the team cloverfdch is in? I heard somebody saying Elvis and the dog looked like photos I had seen. They have blue tops I think.

As for Ness well um we were a little too obsessed with the dogwalk in Open agility (never put your dog back on a contact at training if they jump it - well never a BC - learnt a good lesson on that one, and don't do multiple dogwalks in a row from different ends) but she got on the table with no refusal so I was extatic and in masters jumping she was 10 seconds over standard course time but clear. She wasted about 3 seconds sniffing a pile of saw dust on the ground but other than that she ran nicely. She isn't a fast dog so making masters jumping times is going to be an issue for her however she ran confidently so I was happy with her performance.

Over all she had a pleasing time at the royal show - her leg held up - but I know its still not 100% and she was limping again yesterday :rolleyes: She also enjoyed doing tricks for all the people that walked past where we were sitting.

Sally and Ness

• 1 month later...