BC Boards

Wraped Paws. Injured paw / leg

I have seen pictures posted on this site where the dogs paws have been wrapped for agility and flyball. Nobody that I compete with in agility does this but after today I am going to look into it.

Blaze went into the chute at a hard angle during practice today, I heard a yelp come out of him. he got tangled in the chute and when he came out he was holding up his right rear paw. When we got home he was putting weight on it but if he put any effort into anything he would go back to holding it up. I went over his paw and leg and he doesn't show any sighns of pain so at this point I'm not sure if it's a break or a sprain. I can't get into the Vet till the first of the week so he will have to just lay low.

Does wrapping the paws help prevent this sort of thing and what do people us for wrapping.

I have never seen it done in Agily before, but in Flyball its just to prevent skid injurys as some dogs skid at the box, the wraps or skid boots as some people use just prevent injury from this. one of my dogs skids at the box but she also has extremly tough feet and things that woud seriously harm the feet of most dogs, does absolutly nothing to her, so I dont use em.

Not sure about Canadian agility, but in all the US org's, no wrapping of feet allowed when running. Wrapping is usually done in flyball to save the carpal pads from rubbing raw. I don't think wrapping will prevent a dog from banging himself up like you describe... it's best just to teach safe approaches to obstacles. Sorry your dog's hurt!

-Laura

Thanks for the information. At this point it looks more like a sprain as he walks fine on it just if he tries to run or jump he favors it. Usally he runs fairly clean not sure what he did but looks like we will be missing the next trial.