BC Boards

Megs sick

When Meg was 11 weeks old she had worms. We got through that and she has been in terrific health since then. The last few weeks i've been supplementing her Precise dog food with cooked chicken, and we've given her a few soup bones to gnaw.

Well this weekend she started having diarreha, rubbing her butt on the ground, looking worried and distressed and frankly a little sad but still game for a romp. She's been stacking toys at my feet all afternoon while I've been doing chores. She vomitted bile last night, then water. I tried a little chicken this evening and she threw that up then a half hour later ate kibbles on her own...so far so good.

Her belly isn't bloated, but she's many bowfuls shy of sucking up an ocean of water as usual. If this persists through the night, should I call in sick Monday and take her to the vet? Is there something I should be giving her to calm her tummy?

Would eating a frog do this to her? She may have done.

How we worry.

Agreed - but then, I'm my vet's best friend. :rolleyes: aka somewhat overcautious mom. But I would be taking precautions with a pup, and especially if she's not drinking. Can you maybe try mixing in a little milk with her water to get her to drink in the meantime. Yes, I know that could upset her, but dehydration can creep up fairly quickly and be a major problem. If you wanted to feed in the meantime, I'd be going with the time-honoured boiled/microwaved plain chicken breast and white rice - that's the least likely to cause upsets.

Here's hoping she feels better really soon.

I agree with watching Meg and see how she does overnight and then maybe calling the vet in the morning.

A frog could possibly be the culprit, as a lot of frogs (and especially toads/salamanders) have a toxic secretion in their skin to help protect them from being eaten by predators (to make them taste nasty). I'm no expert, but I had a friend whose pup decided to dine on frog's legs and ended up with a major tummy ache. But then again, this same dog ate at least two more a few weeks later and they didn't cause an issue at all. Did you see her eat one?? (Or maybe the partial remains of one? )

Hopefully Meg's tummy troubles will work themselves out. Good luck!

Heidi, please let us know how Meg is...my guess would be that the frog most definately could have caused the upset tummy. I would also be more concerned about her water drinking than a couple of days of no eating, like Barb said dehydration can creep up quickly and cause some serious problems.

Anyway, sending healthy thoughts to our Meg girl and you!!!

Oh by the way... Meg is the name of my Phoenix boys mommy!

Meg seems to be fine now. Vet advised me to watch her but was not terribly worried. She has solid stools, is bright eyed and bushy tailed (her fan has come in during the last few weeks yay!) Vet wasn't very worried about frog, would have been about salamanders or some other acquatics. Current theory is that the soup bones may have been off.

She has been eating kibbles eagerly but is refusing to drink water from 'her' bowl. She'll drink the rain water in her SS outside bowl, she'll sample the accidentally left open lidded toilet bowl (sigh), she'll dring water from the same tap out of a bowl or my hand but not out of her bowl. Puzzle.

We have an artesian well. Since two houses on these 30 acres access the well, code says we have to pay to have city water piped in...more money than you could imagine. We refuse to allow them on the property to inspect so, we are uninspected. However, we go through all the proper procedures for maintaining a healthy water system.

I've been wondering about transitory vague illness my husband and myself and occasionally his on seem to have. After reading about all the possibilities in the last 24 hours I'm going to have to find a way to have our water tested.

After reading all night and day about parasites the world seems like a rather dark and dangerous place this evening :eek:

Originally posted by Meg's mum:

I've been wondering about transitory vague illness my husband and myself and occasionally his on seem to have. After reading about all the possibilities in the last 24 hours I'm going to have to find a way to have our water tested.

Not a bad idea. If word comes back the water is fine, you'll have peace of mind. In the meantime, you could use bottled water for all of you, if you think there may be a problem. I have friends who only use bottled or filtered water for their animals.

If Meg is refusing to drink from her bowl, maybe there's something about it or the way the water tastes that bothers her. I had a cat who refused to drink from her bowl if in her opinion it needed to be washed. Doesn't seem too likely from a dog who drinks from a toilet, but you never know Is it a plastic bowl, ceramic, metal -- maybe the water tastes off in some way to her.

Glad to hear she's doing so much better.

Good to hear Meg is ok...

Glad Meg is better. Do you have the option of having your own well dug? That might be cheaper than putting in all the equipment to get city water.

Do you have an EPA around or a branch of it? That is where I called to find out who can test our water.

One of our cats will only drink BRAND NEW water. It has to come out of the tap directly before she drinks it or she won't drink it. She is happy to lick water off the grass, though! She is not picky about bowls, just the water.

Maybe something bad happend once when she was drinking from her bowl.

Have you tried putting the bowl outside or in a different room? That might help. Is she scared of it or just not drinking from it - if she is just not wanting THAT water, something might be wrong with it. Make sure you clean her bowl - put it in the dishwasher or something.

Glad she is better now!