BC Boards

Good Agility Book

Thanks! I'll take a look at it. I am not new to dog training, but agility is something I have not tried so far. I think my new pup has real potential and I am thinking about getting her in a class when she is a bit older (she's 3 1/2 months right now). I'd like to know a bit about it before I start.

If you are looking for a how to train thing... I started with Excelling at Dog Agility Book 1 by Jane Simmons-Moake... just looked back at it recently and realized how much more I now understand/see in the book left to comprehend. I also asked for the Greg Derrit videos for a christmas present and found them very good.

I know this sounds hoaky, but when I was first looking I really got a lot of general understanding out of one of those book/mag's you see at PETCO... they had one on agility and explained all the different venues, etc... NOT a training/how to book... but gave lots of good broad info about the sport. THere are several excellent websites for that too... if you are interested let me know. Lysa and Merlin

Check out cleanrun.com. They have a lot of good information and I use their training manuals for working my dogs at home. BTW, once you get hooked on agility....well, let's say...you'll be very busy

Originally posted by KrisK:

Check out cleanrun.com. They have a lot of good information and I use their training manuals for working my dogs at home. BTW, once you get hooked on agility....well, let's say...you'll be very busy

Flippin' heck...I already am...Been looking at the Clean Run magazine subscription - any good?

I get the magazine...it's expensive, but really does have alot of information. Alot of it is for the competitors in agilty. Right now, I'm a dabbler...because I don't live in an area where competing is easy. Most competitons are 6-8 hours away. But there are many good articles for the 'backyard' agility person too. As well, it's easy to read and up to date.

Although I read books and subscribe to Clean Run (and take lessons and go to seminars and...), I have gotten the very greatest benefit from commercially produced videos/DVDs. If you are just starting out, I think the single best investment you could make is Greg Derrett's "Agility Foundation Training" (can be ordered here, or read more about it here under "Videos"). "Agility 101" is a cheaper way to get an intro to agility training via video, and you can watch a 5 minute montage from that video here. It's not Greg Derrett, but if you're like me you'd probably have to have been bitten by the bug before you'd see the point of shelling out for the more expensive Derrett intro (I still recommend that as the ideal starting point though).

Once you are hooked, you may want to subscribe to "Agility in Motion", an incredibly well-produced bimonthly video magazine that I am completely addicted to. Learn more and view demo clips here.

Alaska, thanks for that tip on the videos. I train almost exclusively on my own...and hope some day to compete but that may be 'dreaming' 3 of the 4 dogs love playing at agility so it would be good to have some video assistance.

I have come upon the Agility in Motion site a couple times and wondered if it would be worth the investment?
I too visited the website a few times and wondered the same thing. Finally I took the plunge and ordered Issue 1. As soon as I viewed it, I immediately took out a subscription. That should tell you what kind of impression it made on me. There are at least three segments in Issue 1 that are each easily worth the price of the entire issue -- the quality of the instructional segments is very high. Order Issue 1 and see what you think.

"Bimonthly" = comes out every two months.

• 2 weeks later...