BC Boards

Getting another dog

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering what some opinions/experiences are on having 2 dogs?

I have a gorgeous 8 month girl who I have a wonderful bond with, she is everything I ever wanted in a border collie and I love the one on one companionship we have. I am due to have a baby in a couple of months and from everything I've heard the dogs always end up 2nd best despite good intentions. I have thought for a while about getting her a playmate as she loves other dogs and it would keep her happy and entertained throughout the day if I find myself too busy to give her the constant attention she gets now. Sharing her with another dog will break my heart but her happiness is my priority.

There is an 8 month old female that has just become available and I am hopefully going to let them meet this week to see if they get along, I would be desexing them both within a month or 2.

I have heard mixed opinions on female+female companionships and I am wondering if anyone has any advice on this?

Thanks in advance :)

Angela

post-17516-0-66077500-1439271641_thumb.jpg

I'd be a little cautious about getting a second puppy when you're due to have a baby soon. The new puppy will also need attention, training, playtime, etc. that you're concerned about not having enough time for with one dog. I'd take it slowly and see how you adjust to having one dog and one baby, and see what you can do about making time for the dog. Even if she's "2nd best" that can still be lots of love and attention, and is better than if you adopt another dog and that one has behavior issues or something and requires more time/attention, and your current dog becomes "3rd best".

I've read stories about how many people adopt a dog while pregnant... something about the "nesting" hormones making us want to nurture, nurture, nurture! :)

I have never owned two dogs, but my neighbor recently adopted a 5-month-old pup, largely with the hope that the pup would help her older dog be less clingy, less needy, and better able to cope with being left home alone. I do think the older dog is happier and is able to panic less when left home, because she always has companionship now. However, my neighbor is now in the position of having to train a pup and manage two large dogs when she goes for a walk, car ride, etc.. It's a LOT of work, and she doesn't have a baby to care for.

On the matter of a female/female household, I don't entirely buy the theory. Yes I believe that a male/female may more naturally get along, however if you are watching for aggressive behavior and don't allow it, it shouldn't manifest. I have six dogs; five of which are female. They also all have their own beds and crates, so they can get away from the group if they like. Obviously my 10 year old is less apt to put up with the shenanigans of the young girls.

I have two dogs (both female) for multiple reasons. The main reason was that I wanted a second dog for the selfish reason that I wanted an agility dog and Lyka wasn't as driven as I wanted. The reason that finally pushed us to that decision was to keep Lyka's play drive more sedated, as she always wanted to play with any dog she saw to the point she would go berserk trying to get to them. A trainer suggested that we considered a second dog, so Lyka had a constant playmate and it has definitely helped immensely.

However, do not get a second dog just because you want your dog to have a companion. You need to truly want another dog for you. Consider not just the benefits but the cost, time, and training a new dog needs. Especially with a baby this seems like the wrong time for the wrong reason. IMO After you have the baby and have that managed you can consider another dog, but you may find your dog is perfectly content being #2 because now there is another human around to love.

Darling pup you have!

Bitch/bitch aggression is real and can be very difficult to deal with. I always had females and multiples of them and sort of poo pooed the idea of 2 females being a problem. Then we added a female to our home (with 4 other females) and we got to experience it first hand. We ultimately had to keep one separated from the others. Difficult and stressful and not something I'd ever want to do again. I don't really know how common it is but it is something to consider.

As far as adding a second dog right before having a new baby and a first child. I wouldn't do it. You'll be amazed at how a child rocks your world

You've gotten a lot of good advice already, and I especially second the idea that you'll now have twice the dog care and training -- 8 months old is still a puppy! -- and soon a new baby will will explode your work and demands on your attention exponentially.

I love having more than one dog, both for myself and for the dog-dog companionship it brings to my dogs. But it's an all too often experience for people who get a second dog to find that it doesn't actually achieve what they expected in terms of occupying the other dog. . . . especially with a people oriented breed like border collies. Sure, they'll (probably) play with each other and keep each other company, but it's almost a guarantee that you'll now have 2 dogs looking to you for your attention! My dogs all require individual attention, training, etc., and when comes looking for some attention from me it's like a signal for one or the rest of them (I'm down to 2 dogs ATM, but I've had as many as 6 at a time in the past) to come horning in to get their share. ;)

Inter-bitch is a very real thing, and a very ugly one when it happens. It doesn't happen with all (or even most) females by any means, but if it does (and it's unlikely to show up in 8 month old pups till they mature a bit), it's at best a huge PITA to manage and at worst a heartbreaking tragedy as the dogs fight, possibly get hurt, or one has to be rehomed. I wouldn't go into getting another dog expecting this to happen, but it is something to be aware the possibility of. Even if it's not inter-bitch aggression, females can sometimes be a bit more fractious with each other, which is one reason many people recommend opposite sex pairs. But I and many others here have had multiple females who coexist beautifully.

Lastly, if you're really committed to adding another dog to your household, I'd suggest looking for a more mature dog than the one you already have. You'll have a better idea what the dog's temperament is, and while there'll still be an adjustment period where you have to do some training, you can look for one who's more settled and requires less work in the long run. 2 very young dogs can be pandemonium with their playing; you have to consider the disruption this could bring to your household when you're adding a new baby to the equation and might prefer to have a little peace and quiet. Plus, there won't be the problem (and expense) of having 2 very old dogs at exactly the same time.

Best wishes to you and your growing family.

I think there are many times where 2 dogs are better than 1.

But I would guess that your situation is not one of those times.

-A one time meet and greet isn't enough time to know how 2 dogs will get along. My parents adopted a border collie a few months ago, he and Keeper seemed quite fine when they first met. Now? They hate each other. This isn't always a big problem, but dealing with 2 potential fighting candidates while wrestling a newborn would be disastrous.

-A new dog (especially a rescue that might need some behavior rehab) is a full time job. So is a newborn baby. You'd have only a couple months to create a foundation that usually takes much longer than that. More than likely, your life would be consumed with your baby, and behavior problems that would normally only last a few months are suddenly there for years because you weren't able to address them from the get go.

-Two dogs of the same age seem fine when they're younger. But after watching our neighbor have to euthanize 2 dogs in two weeks, I'll never have two dogs of the same age.

-Stroller and a well behaved dog on leash? No problem. Stroller with 2 dogs, one brand new and most likely not incredibly well trained? Big problem.

-You won't truly see a dog's personality until several months after they come home. What happens when the dog hits a year and suddenly becomes horribly noise sensitive? Babies aren't known for being quiet. The "honeymoon period" would likely end right when you have your baby. Would you be prepared to handle that with an infant?

-In my experience, bringing a dog into the family hoping they'll "keep Fluffy company" never works. You just end up with two independent dogs vying for your attention.

I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but I think you (and your baby, and your dog, and the rescue dog) would be much happier just staying with your current setup. Your life is going to be turned upside down already, there's no need to add another layer of difficulty. There are PLENTY of dogs who will need your home, maybe when your new family is more established.

I also wouldn't have 2 dogs of the same age again. Last year we had to say goodbye to our 2 boys within 2 months of each other, not that this couldn't happen with dogs of different ages, but I wouldn't set myself up for so much loss in such a short amount of time again.

Also, as they were growing up they would gang up on me. One I got as a puppy, the other I adopted about a year later as a 10 month old. So they were basically the same age. I had thought they could learn together, which they did, all the bad stuff you don't want them to learn. Until they were about 2 most training sessions had to be done separately or else one would focus and the other would start trying to play. When they were about 7 we adopted another 10 month old which was super easy, he not only wanted to please me, but he wanted to please the older boys, they did most of the house rules training through him mimicking. He learned where the kitchen line is by being removed once and then laying down and watching with the old guys.

So, I too would lean to getting a mature rescue 3-5 years old after the baby is born and your new lifestyle is rolling.

Best of luck!

Lots of sensible observations here. I also say, one new critter at a time. You can't know how much Baby will demand and change things until you are doing it. Though I am glad you have the one dog already. I think children should be raised with animals.

Your present dog is still pretty young. Let Dog and Baby get all your attention for the coming year or so. You may find your hands plenty full with the two of them. (Don't forget your husband will still be needing some attention, too... ;) )

I've never bought into the female/female aggression being worse than any other dog aggression; dog on dog aggression within a pack is the worst when there are two vying for the same rank. The tension for this affects the entire pack.

I would not recommend a second dog with all the upcoming changes in your life.

I will agree with others in that getting another dog at this time will have you "burning the candle at 4 ends." Your wife, your dog and your child will all be making demands and adjusting to a new situation. A new pup will only diminish the time you have for the older one, at a time when you and your family will be stressed and distracted. The older dog may not be jealous, but will be feeling the huge changes that a baby will bring to your lives.

As for getting two females, I agree with those who cite deathless animosity. I've seen it often. I have always felt that squabbles between males are mostly just that. All sound and fury - very little harm done. (Excepting German Shepherd Dogs and Lhasa Apsos, which seem to delight in murdering rival males.) But when bitches fight they fight to do damage. I have two bitches myself - the older of which is not especially dog-friendly. But I am not in a relationship, and am home all day with them, so I can monitor closely, avoid problems and foster amity. And I can crate the pup when I do go out. I feed them with a door between them for now, and will gradually introduce the idea of "your bowl, my bowl." Even then, I will pick up bowls when eating is done. I am blessed with two "wolfers" 15 seconds is about how long it takes each of them to put away a meal.

Dogs are pretty adaptable and can be very undemanding. Don't get your current dog a pet to stop yourself feeling guilty for being busy with your baby. I can't think of much worse than having two young dogs that you don't have time for. I'm sure your dog will be fine if you have taught her to be happy with her own company and have got her used to being around babies with all their weirdness.