BC Boards

Sores on feet?

chrisandgabe

Gabe's been chewing on his feet a little bit lately, and today I noticed these sores. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow, but has anyone seen anything like this? I'm thinking it might be some sort of allergy made worse by him chewing on it, but not sure if I should be concerned about something else. He's also not great at being handled, although much better than when we adopted him approximately 6 weeks ago. Any tips on cleaning this up if he's a little skittish about me touching his feet? Thanks in advance.

post-17894-0-45791100-1438912571_thumb.jpg

I soak anything like that in some warm water and betadine. Dry really well, maybe a hair dryer. This would be a great time to work with him several times a day and get him over not liking feet messed with.

It is a universal dog thing I have decided. But I teach all my guys to let me mess with their feet, toes, nails ect. Just start by holding it and not letting go if he pulls. Make sure letting go is ALWAYS your idea. Increase the time you hold his foot and play with toes ect. If he complains tell him No and keep holding it. Some dogs will be more still laying on their side

He could be developing lick granulomas. I think it's worth having a vet look at simply because if they get bad enough, they may require surgery. And the vet can tell you what one looks like (if these are not) and perhaps give you something to help with the irritation so that you can break the cycle of licking.

J.

Lyka's allergies cause obsessive feet licking/chewing if I let it go too long to the point of sores. I've found washing the feet with a gentle oatmeal shampoo helps stop licking if I get to her before sores develop. It would also help if you just suspect it was stepping in something that caused the issue.