BC Boards

Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Border Collies?

GentleLake

I just received an update from one of my previous foster dogs' adopter. He's 10 now and other than some minor expected age related stuff he's doing well. :)

But she says her vet told her that Border Collies are known to get irritable bowel syndrome as they age and he may have to go on a low fat diet as he ages.

Though I realize any dog can get this, it isn't something I'm aware of as being a problem in border collies, and a quick internet search isn't showing me anything that suggests border collies may be more prone to it than other breeds.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else knows of any predisposition in the breed for this.

Many thanks.

I don't know if border collies are know to get IBS as they age (actually I have never heard it before), but from reading The Wheat Belly book (human-oriented), the author (a cardiologist) correlates improvement in celiac disease/IBS symptoms to a diet free from glutens/wheat/corn etc. -- IIRC

Quinn was diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease when he was two. He didn't do well on any processed foods and what his holistic vet put him on was a home cooked diet that includes a pre-mix that consists of oats, barley and other grains. He has done well on this for the past eight years overall, though for the past year he gets B 12 shots and folic acid to keep weight on. Which then required cutting back on his portions a bit when he gained too much weight. :)

Not really answering the OP's question. I am not a vet but have known a number of dogs with IBD which makes me wonder how common it is in dogs in general.