BC Boards

Old dog, eating difficulties

jvw

Our 15 year old became a picky eater a few years ago. We added some different kinds of wet food to his diet to see what worked for him. It took time, but we found what works for him. He likes the healthy maturity by purina one and their canned food (everything but salmon and lamb). Good luck!

I would do the pepcid at night with a bedtime snack. I'd also have the vet recheck her kidney values in 3-6 months. When an older dog has a heart issue the circulation is affected and eventually that affects the kidneys. You need to loose a pretty high portion of kidney function before it will show up on bloodwork. Dogs starting with renal insufficiency get picky about food.

Also, if she is on Enalapril for her heart issue that can make some dogs not want to eat.

• 4 months later...

Just an update. It turned out to be her teeth and gums. She had an extensive dental with a veterinary dentist. He gingival tissue had built up and ossified. It took some days of healing but it went very well.

She is like a new dog! I wish I had done the dental sooner!!

Thank you. This was actually done in October. She had a few days where we kept her on good pain meds while she healed. I just forgot to update this thread. Within a week she was back to eating like her normal younger self.

She is clearly feeling better than she has in two years! I've also added a bit of coconut oil and Omega 3 to her diet and she is moving much better.