BC Boards

New Puppy Question

Hi there. New to the boards. I've had border collies for about 16 years. The first was a rescue. Highly compulsive. Laser focus. Would fetch until she dropped and, I guess, that's literal. Because she would chase a ball or frisbee until she couldn't walk anymore. After a couple of years with her I added a second dog -- a pup out of big time working stock. Again, with all the traits that we love in our dogs. Smart, quick, anxious to please. With high drive/big motor.

I always wanted to do competitive frisbee but the first dog has moved up to doggie heaven and the Puppy (as we always called her) is now 11.

Two weeks ago we brought home a brand new BC pup, with the idea of possibly getting into competitive frisbee. It's been 12 years since our last pup, but I never remember her NOT going after that frisbee with a passion. For that matter, I never remember her not sprinting to me when I call. This puppy, just 10 weeks old, doesn't seem to have that same kind of drive.

My question -- At what point should those personality traits appear? Am I judging too quickly because she's still just a baby? I know I can shape her a little -- bring out her prey drive when playing. But even at 10 weeks can we make assumptions about drive? If you're into herding, agility, frisbee, etc -- at what point can you begin to make assumptions about a dogs motor?

Thoughts?

post-17855-0-45710000-1436212256_thumb.jpg

You really can't assume anything at 10 weeks old, or at least not much at all. I had my girl home for 3ish weeks before she'd fetch at all - and then it was sticks for a few weeks, then onto balls. She didn't have any interest in a disc until she was about 6 months old and at first it was as a tug toy. She's stereotypical a ball and disc NUT - not obsessive because no balls and discs inside, but really loves them.

I will warn you NOT to allow your dog to do any jumping after balls or discs as a puppy/until her growth plates close. She'll do some anyway, but don't encourage it and definitely no rebounds and so on until 18months-2 years. If you want her to be competitive with it later, you need to protect her joints and bones. By all means if you can get her going after soft tosses and rollers do it, but expect it to take time. She has to get comfortable at home with you, and then it has to be seen as fun AND she has to grow up some and into herself. All those things take time.

Actually, I went back and looked for you. It looks like she started playing with a disc, as a disc, at 9-10 months old, and as a tug toy for probably a month before that (we used a kong disc).

So, yeah, I personally would expect interest in balls long before discs. It seems to take dogs a big longer to turn onto those.

I'm not a puppy expert, just have my own experience to share. I've had my two year old (now) since he was 8 weeks and he's been ball crazy the entire time. He gives ball retrieving a 100% effort but usually I can only get about 50% from him when catching/retrieving the frisbee. Don't know why. Just showing him a ball will spark his interest and raise his spirit and its not anything I ever remember teaching him.

Tess always liked to fetch stuff, I think, or run after stuff at first. But we only started playing frisbee after she was a year old. First time I trew the frisbee properly she caught it in the air and never looked back. We where at a frisbee workshop,and people where surprised it was her first time properly playing it. But she knew all the basics by then, she knew how to go after things, how to bring them back, how to deliver them in my hand. She had plenty of practice with catching soft balls with her mouth, and most off all, she knew it was great fun to play with me.

Even if your pup isn't crazy insane for frisbee from the start, you can build his interest and teach him all the things he needs to know. I wouldn't worry much if he looses interest quickly for the time being, he can learn to love the game. Granted, some dogs never will, but most do. Anyway, for many months to come he will be too young for the jumps, so just enjoy playing with him and building the steps needed for a good frisbee dog. Odds are he'll be great.

Your pup is lovely, he's white factored like my Tess :wub:

Even if your pup isn't crazy insane for frisbee from the start, you can build his interest and teach him all the things he needs to know. I wouldn't worry much if he looses interest quickly for the time being, he can learn to love the game.

Also this. Really, seriously, deeply, this.

I'm posting a bunch of pictures, now because I apparently mostly communicate with pictures, but.

K10_zpsaahjnqgn.jpg

This is my middle dog with a standard, 9" frisbee.

She had some toy drive as a puppy, but not a lot and most of it went away with maturity (along with, well, play drive period). I took some time and brought it back. She watched the disc-crazy BC play. Then I got her a 4" disc. And, well.

Kylie8%20-%201_zpsnrpukdte.jpg

Kylie9%20-%201_zpszogoit0p.jpg

Kylie19%20-%201_zpssa0bqfqk.jpg

Kylie18%20-%201_zpspgoiqwgo.jpg

Kylie6%20-%201_zpsuwqwccxw.jpg

And this is an 11" tall chi mix. Now, granted, 'catch it in the air' isn't something she does a lot of the time and as a competitive disc dog - proooobably not. But!

If I can get HER into disc? You are going to have no issue with a border collie. Work with her, make it fun, let her know what she needs to do, and she'll almost certainly give it to you. Just keep it FUN for both of you!

Good advice above - particularly about not overstressing joints before the growth plates have closed. [i would wait until 14-16 months before practicing the jumps and flips.]

Just play with your baby and make everything fun. I am sure he will grow to love the game. My friend adopted a 3 year old rescue who had never played with toys - after a couple of months she is a frisbee fanatic.

Fetch drive can be taught, and will turn into a great love for the dog if you do it right. Just don't overdo it until she is grown, as others have said.

Love your white puppy with the black splotch. She's adorable. Welcome to the BC boards. This is a good place for info and support.

I'm fairly certain that agility shaping is much different than frisbee shaping, but you can start with some basic obedience and easy tricks/behaviors then move on to frisbee as she gets older. Like others have said try not to overwork her while she is growing. Get her interested in the frisbee as a toy for now games like tug and short range fetch are good for getting them interested in it. Just a pointer but after she stars fetching successfully make sure she gets used to handing it to you not tossing it at you or dropping it a few feet away and making you get it. That became a huge issue with my Lily and it took months to break her of it.

I didn't watch this but it came up when I was watching one of the other vids posted here; Maybe it'll have something useful. If not, I'll be there are tons of similar tutorials on YouTube. Just be careful of any that encourage jumping while the dog's still a puppy.

Here's one that demonstrates back chaining the fetch.

Like I said, I'm sure there are more.

Good luck . . . and have fun!