BC Boards

Afraid to go in backyard

Since Tuesday, my 14 month BC, Star, has been afraid to go in the fenced backyard. I do not know what has caused this fear. Normally I am in the yard with her. If I am not, the patio door is open and she can enter the house on her own. She is not "locked" outside. Star is not afraid to go on walks (always on leash) or go places in the car. It is just the backyard. The grass is kept short and there are no weeds along the fence line. I have tried all kinds of things to get her outside, favorite toys, treats, putting a leash on and walking her in the backyard. I will get her excited in the house and then take the game outside. I even fed her on the patio. As soon as she was done eating she came to the door. My house is small and she needs exercise and playtime. I love playing with her outside in the yard and she especially loved playing fetch before this happened. Any suggestions? I don't want to make her phobia worse. I can walk her on leash in the backyard. She will not pull away, but the minute the leash is off she is running to the door. Should I continue that? Any other suggestions? She has always been a bit skiddish, but loved playing outside and we were spending lots of time outside. Any suggestions on what to do or not to do are welcome. Also has this happened to anyone one else?

This time of year, I'd think fireworks might be to blame. She might have heard a firecracker, etc, while she was out there with or without you.

I'd just keep taking her out on leash, making it matter of fact. Will she play fetch with you if you leave the leash on? How about a long line - a longer leash you can buy or make out of something lightweight?

Take a book or your laptop, something for you to do, out in the back yard. Sit down and ignore her. If she wants to wait by the door, that's fine. It might be a long process.

IF, however, there are any kinds of firework noises, or anything resembling firework noises, take her back inside. In a couple days, try again with the above routine.

Yes, border collies remember everything that scared them. They tend to be, (a lot of dogs are) superstitious. A single scary noise or other event, (a pan being dropped in the kitchen for example) can sour them on a location or a person. it takes some work to get them over it, but it can be done.

Ruth and SuperGibbs

Oh I just went through this with my 6 year old, and he's not usually a spooky dog. I'm putting it down as blueberry canons or fireworks as the cause, or possibly a bee sting (though he is usually pretty impervious to bee stings - but neighbour started keeping bees, so they are getting stung a lot more than usual). He wouldn't even play fetch, and just ran back to the house. I basically just ignored him and let him sit on the porch while the rest of us had a good time in the pasture, and after a few days he got over it.

RDM

She's at an age where she could be going through a final fear state. Just as likely this time of year though is that she heard and was frightened by fireworks that you couldn't hear.

For the time being I'd take her out on the long line and do everything you can to make the yard the best place ever. Play whatever games she'll engage in, give her lots of treats, anything and everything she enjoys doing. If the leash is what makes her feel secure, then leave it on her for as long as it takes. See if maybe she'll be OK with it just dragging behind her after a couple days.

I'd keep feeding her outside. Maybe even in the yard itself, in different places and not just on the patio.

Hopefully it's just fireworks and you'll be able to help her get over this pretty quickly (and then be prepared with melatonin or something else next year!). I had a couple fosters who were terrified of the road noises from the secondary highway up the hill from me. Most of the time I barely even notice it, but it scared the daylights out of them. Being fosters I was able to send them back to the rescue with some useful information for where they could be comfortably adopted and trade for other dogs, because they were really shutting down. Hopefully Star's not hearing something like that and this'll be a limited experience that she'll get over quickly.

If it doesn't resolve pretty soon, though, I'd try some melatonin or L-theanine. Both are benign and non toxic. If that doesn't help it might be worth talking to the vet about some anxiety meds for a while to help her over the hump. She's got be be relaxed enough that she can clear the stress hormones.

Best wishes.

Zeke won't go out back if it's dark. I have no idea why. I put him on a leash and take him out front. Are you gone during the day? I would guess fireworks. Or some loud noise. Dogs forget. I would not push it. Just leave the door open and ignore it. Go in and out yourself just like you always do and ignore him.

As a teacher, I am home during the summer. The fireworks did not bother her too much. She was more excited than anything and I ended up kenneling her after a while. There are 3 possibilities that I can think of. 1) We had WWII bombers giving rides and we were in the flight path. They were pretty low. If one had buzzed by at just the wrong moment it may have startled her. 2) Since Tuesday AM we have had a lot of haze and smoke over Fargo from Canadian wildfires. Sometimes the air smells foul. However, she is not afraid to walk on a leash around the block, so I don't think this holds true. 3) there is one neighbor dog she is cautious and submissive to and it was barking some the day before all this started. The other neighbor dogs she likes and will eagerly look for to greet through the fence. I have spoken to the neighbors on all sides and no one recalls a specific event, but I noticed today someone driving by on the street behind us blaring their music and Star is reactive to some music (not all). I don't know much about stress hormones, so that info is good to know. Feel free to explain it in more depth. I was hoping for a rain to clear the air, but it passed over us. I fed her outside again this morning and will again tonight. She willingly goes out to eat and then just wants back in. She will not willingly go out for anything else, unless I leash her.

I just wanted you to know, Star is back to her normal self. One full week after the first day she refused to go in the backyard, she got up in the morning and went straight outside. That day she was about 90 percent back. I continued tactics such as feeding her on the patio and scattering dog treats on the patio. The next day she slipped a bit back, becoming more reserved. When I was reading up on the stress hormones, I read something that also was pertinent. I don't think she was getting enough sleep. She sleeps great at night, a solid 8 hours, but since I have been home for the summer she has been up all day with me. I added mandatory nap time in the kennel in my bedroom in the afternoon and that appears to have completely solved the problem. Thanks for your suggestions and the tip on stress hormones. She now back at 100 percent of her old self.

• 2 weeks later...

Juno is 21 months now and has been an absolute joy. All aspects of her behaviour and training have just continued to improve, especially of late. I often read these threads about noise and was thankful that Juno never seemed to be spooked by noises. Well a couple of weeks ago she started to be fearful of noises resembling fireworks or gun shots. As a result she has refused to go out at night for her late night walk and the slightest banging noise during the day has her asking to return home when we are on a walk or go into the house if she is in the yard. The funny thing is she is fine on our off leash walks on the trails behind the house. I have read so many of these threads that I have been fairly well prepared. I am not forcing her to do anything, I comfort her when she is fearful, and I distract her when needed. So far I am not too worried as she is such a great dog and seems content most of the time. I must say though that these Border Collies are a mysterious bunch!

Hope Juno is back to normal soon. Star now has a preference to be outside in the backyard in the evening hours, but any where else outside it fine during the day. We have the Navy Blue Angels and the Air Show in town this week. I will keep her in during the show, just in case.