BC Boards

Can I ship my dog to someone here to teach him to fetch???

I jest, I jest, but I feel so helpless. I have taught my dog many tricks, but bringing the ball all the way to me is one that I just can't seem to do. He brings it about 10-20 feet away and drops it. If you tell him to "get the ball" he just picks it up and drops it immediately. If you ignore him he gets bored of the game and finds something else to do. He's not completely ball obsessed, so is fine with not continuing the game.

He used to retrieve anything and everything - I taught him by back chaining. But I could never get the behavior anywhere except my living room (where i trained him). Now he seems to have lost it altogether.

Any tips??

Try running away from him when he starts back with the ball. Hopefully he will bring it all the way back (and not drop it from his mouth) before he realizes that he got close to you. Also be prepared to immediately give him another ball if he does come close to you.

Its a bit of conflict, he wants to have you throw it but he doesn't want you to take it from him.

Have you tried 2 or more balls?

Also some time spent (maybe inside or on the porch) that "ball in hand = immediate launch of ball."

Also, have you tried frisbee instead?