BC Boards

Know of anyone who has done this?

OK, ya'll know how some of our Border Collies stalk in their own Border Collie way . . . .

Have any of you ever managed to capture that behavior and put it on cue to be done outside of a context where something that naturally brings it out is present?

I would like to be able to incorporate this into Bandit's Freestyle, but I honestly have never seen it done strictly on cue. What I would like him to do is run around the ring in a half circle - 1/2 to 2/3 of the ring away (that part I know I can teach), and then stalk to me, most likely as I am standing still, or perhaps backing away from him slightly.

Anyone? I'm not asking about teaching it to a dog who doesn't do it, but capturing it and putting it on cue with a dog who naturally does.

DSCN2342_zps9fe2e0bb.jpg

Never done that, but I used a clicker to capture a ton of behaviors in Bandit's aunt such as sticking out her tongue, snarling, shaking her head no, barking, woofing, growling, etc. If you back chained, I think it could be done.

I haven't seen this done either, but I don't think it would be too terribly difficult since he shows that tendency anyway.

Will he offer it with a toy when you have it, or can you bring it out in him with a toy; I'd start there and then back chain as Liz commented.

What a fun challenge, good luck; will enjoy seeing the progress.

I can get him to do it by holding a toy in my hand and having Dean walk with me. Bandit will "walk up" on us in his crouch. I could easily capture it that way.

I am going to try!!

If I ever did a routine where he was "playing" a Border Collie with some kind of sheep prop in the ring, it would score very well. That sort of thing is very much in the future, but it is a very fun idea. I know something like that could be hokey very easily but I think it could also be done in a classy fun way. Definitely an idea I am putting "on file"!! :)

I just saw a video of someone who taught this! I wish I could find it again, it was on a trick page on facebook.

I can put Keeper in a crouch, but haven't tried getting him to slink around. Saying "sneaky, sneaky" enough times while he stalked the cats seemed to have created a trick....

Lou can do this. I ask him to get back, which makes him run in a little arc away from me, then ask him to walk, and he walks up on me in a very stylish manner. I don't think I taught him this, he is just that awesome. None of my other stalking dogs will do it.

OK, ya'll know how some of our Border Collies stalk in their own Border Collie way . . . .

Have any of you ever managed to capture that behavior and put it on cue to be done outside of a context where something that naturally brings it out is present?