BC Boards

Hi everyone

I'm new to this board, I have recently rescued a collie cross and she's a beautiful little dog but over the last 2 weeks, she's started barking a lot when she sees someone walk past my garden. Is this a collie trait? My dad had a collie and she never did this. Would I be able to train her out of this?

I was told she was a collie lab cross (I don't think there's any lab in her as she's quite small) if anyone would like to offer opinions on what she's mixed with, I would love to hear them!

Please excuse the weeds in the picture, they have been dealt with since this picture was taken.

Lynne

NewCollieOwner,

Welcome to this forum. You will find lots of help and awesome suggestions. My Jade is supposedly a BC/black lab cross and she weighs 38.2 pounds at almost 2 years of age.

I am working with her about barking at the neighbors across the fence. We are working at "Look at me" and we also provide the neighbors with treats that they just take a handful and throw to her when they are out so she relates really good things with the neighbors. I know that isn't possible with random people walking by but it is working with her.

Time and patience is the rule.

Teri

PS. She is quite adorable!

She's pretty cute. Welcome to the BC boards. You will find a lot of information here. The "look at me" mentioned in the previous post is a training game that is outlined in the book "Control Unleashed", which comes highly recommended. You can get it at Amazon, and it is not expensive. It's got a lot of good stuff in it. A friend who has three excessively barky shelties trained it out of them using "look at me".

Does your dog get walked and played with every day? For how long at a time is she in the garden alone? Could she be barking out of boredom? Just thoughts.....