BC Boards

agility/obedience questions

First of all what age is a dog eligible to compete in obedience and agility?

I was also just wondering, when a dog has a qualifying round in a comp does she get a ribbon? Also what places do the ribbons go to in an average obedience/agility class? Hehe I know I'm being a bit too hopeful with Kes' prospects but i like to know all the wee tidbits I can about what way American dog sports work. :rolleyes:

I only know about AKC rules and regs. No idea about age but I'd not be running my dog on weaves and full size jumps until after 1 year of age. Due to growth plates and all that good stuff.

Ribbons go to 1st - 4th place. All qualifing scores get a green ribbon. Clubs can determine if they want to hand out rosettes or ribbons.

That's all I know. Try looking up the clubs you are interested in NADAC, USDAA, AKC, etc. They have all this information and more on their own websites.

When you moving over here?

Thanks for the info. i definitely won't be doing any competing until Kes is over a year old. She won't be doing anything except tunnels and going through wings with flat poles on the ground and flat contacts until quite some time. Thats the way I worked it with Meg and she did great. I don't see the point in rushing at all and it really annoys me to see someone straight out ruining a young pup because they dont want to wait.

I'm planning to move, all being well in August and im planning to firstly go to some comps to spectate and get a feel for what agility and obedience is about in the u.s.

Originally posted by CollieKat:

First of all what age is a dog eligible to compete in obedience and agility?

I was also just wondering, when a dog has a qualifying round in a comp does she get a ribbon? Also what places do the ribbons go to in an average obedience/agility class? Hehe I know I'm being a bit too hopeful with Kes' prospects but i like to know all the wee tidbits I can about what way American dog sports work. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, dogs only need to be six months old to start competing in Obedience.

For agility, Agility Association of Canada (AAC), United States Dog Agility Association (USDAA), North American Dog Agility Council (NADAC) and the Canadian Kennel Club (CKC) all require that dogs must be 18 months of age in order to eligible to compete. The American Kennel Club in it's infinite wisdom (NOT!!!) allows dogs to complete in their agility classes at one year of age.

Kat,

Every venue I've competed in gives a qualifying ribbon.

For Akc, at 12 months you can choose to show your dog in Preferred Class which offers different (lower)jump heights for dogs. Then you can show in championship when you feel you are ready. Unfortunately, many people with larger dogs do not use this option. I think if I had papillions, showing them at full jump height at 12 months is more doable with less trauma to the body.

It's up to the clubs hosting the trials to determine which place they want to ribbon to. 1st through 3rd places are usually a given. I've seen some clubs reward down to 7th place in the Novice classes.

Where in the States are you coming to visit?