BC Boards

Shaping out Unwanted Behaviors

When I first got Juno we also got two cats so we had to keep them apart for a while. I had an old piece of clear plastic so I put some hinges on it and made a permanent gate from the sunroom to the rest of the house. Now that the cats and Juno get along okay I still left the gate up as it is useful at times when I want to confine Juno to a smaller space.

So I have been evaluating my sitation that past few days, and doing a little work on some things. I am inclined to believe preventing access is the best method for now, I have gone back to crating her for the past week and have noticed when I get ready to leave she promptly walks over to her crate and lays down in it. I am hoping to interprit this voluntary and calm reaction to be that she does not mind her crate and is content to be there while I am gone. Do ya'll think this is the case? Even if I ask her 'go to your crate' she will calmly walk or jog to her crate and settle down promptly. This takes care of prevention while I am not there, for while I am in the house she is polite and does not follow me into the kitchen. However since she has taken to keeping me in her sights I have placed her pillow in a new location that can be seen from the kitchen and have insisted on her being there everytime I enter the kitchen. Is this teaching her that only while I am in the kitchen she isn't allowed, but when I am not she has free roam, or would her brain even work like that?

About these x-pens I assume they range in sizes, but from the picture Betsy posted that looks flimsy, could they not knock it over or flat out jump it? I do have a dog gate, more like a puppy or baby gate that stands wedge between the door jam, but she has learned she can easily jump that. I understand some work must be done to help her understand she needs to stay one the side I put her on of whatever gate or pen I use, just wondering how to go about doing that.

I think it may help pattern her to the idea that she isn't allowed in the kitchen, but I don't know that she'd take that to mean she's not allowed when you're not there. ;)

Per her crate behavior - that's fabulous! My dogs all love their crates and even the grown ones, ages almost-6 and 7, still choose to sleep in theirs with the doors left open. Done correctly, they begin to think of their crates as their den or safe place.

As for X-pens, they range in height up to about 4 feet tall. Heavy, then, but they are long enough - about 16 feet total - that you can fold up either end to create a pretty sturdy barrier. Plus you can install hooks in a door frame to help hold them.

I like the plastic trellis idea, though! Light, nice to look at, easy to fasten to a wall or door frame for sturdiness, and you can cut to size. :)

~ Gloria

Here is a quick example of a 3-foot x-pen set up as a bedroom door barrier. (At a friend's house, so just staging for example.)

Each folding section of the x-pen is @ 24 inches, so you can fold it various ways to make it less susceptible to being knocked over. :)

~ Gloria

• 2 weeks later...