BC Boards

Advice on keeping active BC calm after surgery

CSW

I am having my very active 13 month old BC spayed in a week. It will be a laser spay with a cold laser treatment the same day to promote healing. They said she will not need to stay overnight at the vet, because of the laser, her age, and her fitness level. I will be able to be at home with her, but I am concerned how to keep her calm. I even asked the vet for sedatives when we had our pre-surgical physical. He said we could possibly give Star some pain pills that would keep her calm if it was necessary. Can anyone tell me what to expect? My last BC was a male and they are so much easier.

Tess is being spayed today, just off to take her to the vet. She's 22 mo and much calmer than she was at 11, but I'm counting on the crate to keep her quiet whenever I'm not around to supervise. I'm planning to do lots of leashed walks, and games in the house like find the toy, things that exclude her running and jumping around. It's a great time to teach tricks, as long as they are not very physical.

You know, it's such a simple common surgery, and yet I'm feeling sick every time I think about it :rolleyes: Lots of what if's...

Bett had a heart procedure last Thursday and is home and on crate rest. The vet gave us acepromazine to keep her calm, but it's absolutely crucial she stay calm, an occluder was placed in her heart to plug up a blood vessel and can't risk it coming out, I don't think you'll need anything as heavy-duty as that.

I have an ex-pen and take her out occasionally and do a little training. I am teaching her the names of her toys, and practicing "leave-it", touch, and basic focus games.

Bully sticks, kongs, and other good chewy things will work out some energy and keep her busy.

Good luck!