BC Boards

Strange fears?

Tansy's not afraid of much, other than being fear reactive with other dogs. But for some reason she's afraid of the sound the stickers make when I take them off prescription bottles to give to my vet to reuse. She won't come anywhere near me when I'm doing that. :rolleyes:

Both my boys hate the smoke alarm. Hoot is terrified of thunder & gets pills for it. Nick now associates thunder with peanut butter (he had to have some, too) and runs to the fridge when it storms.

Hoot, weirdest dog ever, has fears that change daily. Weird noises tweak him out, but rarely the same one twice. He was once afraid to go up the stairs he goes up and down 300 times a day. Some days he won't eat if his bowl isn't in the right spot. He is terrified of the WHACK of a golf club hitting a ball (we run past a golf course), but is fascinated by the flying ball. The UPS man is scary, but his female co-driver isn't. (FTR, the guy is totally non scary & the other dogs love him). I really wish I knew what was going on inside Hoot's odd little brain :)

Those big black flies do it every time. And my swatting flies or wasps really upsets the dogs, too.

Oh, flies, yea! How could I forget? That's probably Kieran's biggest fear. Any time a fly comes in the house, he does weird things. He'll jump on the couch when he's not allowed, hide in cramped corners, or just straight up jump into people's arms like a cartoon. Then he looks at you like, "what, you don't see that?!" Our first few outdoor agility lessons, he was so distracted because he kept staring at the bees and trying to snap at them. Not a good idea. They cut the grass recently so there aren't as many now, thank goodness.

Oh, flies, yea! How could I forget? That's probably Kieran's biggest fear. Any time a fly comes in the house, he does weird things. He'll jump on the couch when he's not allowed, hide in cramped corners, or just straight up jump into people's arms like a cartoon. Then he looks at you like, "what, you don't see that?!" Our first few outdoor agility lessons, he was so distracted because he kept staring at the bees and trying to snap at them. Not a good idea. They cut the grass recently so there aren't as many now, thank goodness.

Aed is our fly-catcher. He just chases them around until he eats them.

Nattie doesn't like metal food/water bowls. Of my four pets she is the only one who doesn't have metal bowls. I was watching a dog while my friend was on vacation and the dog had a metal food bowl that I would put in the kitchen at mealtime. As long as the other dog was eating everything was fine but as soon as she finished Nattie felt the need to circle and bark at the bowl until I picked it up and put it away.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with a dog that *hates* flies. He never cared until I took him to Wisconsin last year where the bugs tormented all of us.

Keeper doesn't have many non-standard fears, I don't think. He does get put on edge at night in the car. He'll bark at any weird shapes. We had the great snowman scare of 2014. He does have a love/hate relationship with the "blanket monster". I grabbed his foot from under the blanket one time, and now it's stuck. He has woken me screaming at a cat under the covers on many occasions.

Keeper wigged the heck out yesterday when my dad came over with a big bunch of balloons. I'd have comforted him if I weren't laughing so hard!

Aed is our fly-catcher. He just chases them around until he eats them.

Protein! Lol. If by some miracle Kieran catches a fly, he'll try to eat it. I have a video of him picking it up and tasting it and then spitting it out over and over again. It took him ten more tries to realize he just didn't want to eat it, as if the flavor would change five seconds later (not one of his brightest moments) :D.

Oh, I forgot. My first BC, Cory, was afraid of floor vents. I moved to a place with floor vents everywhere and used to go into hysterical laughter watching him try to go from one end of the place to another. He kept changing directions to be on the opposite side of the room from the vent. I finally bought floor rugs!!

Logan now gets very worried when I stand on a chair to change a lightbulb in the bathroom. He folds his ears and tucks his tail and creeps around the chair I'm standing on looking like he's lost his best friend.