BC Boards

need retrieving help

Miztiki you are too funny!

don't have TV so not sure what you are talking about. But don't they have things for folks that are fat...ahem...I mean 'on a diet'... that make noise when you open the door? I think you can record something yourself like "Boy! shut the door!" Then you have to train Boy to close the door too!

have fun!!!!

Denise

Originally posted by Miztiki:

I specifically want to teach him to put something in his mouth. If you recall, he had no interest in balls and such when I got him. I have encouraged any and all interest and he will now *maybe* play fetch for a few throws. The big thing is making him understand that I want him to actually put an object in his mouth and not just touch it.

I believe the easiest way to get to the end is to start there! And work backwards to the beginning by chaining the various steps.

So the first thing you teach Boy is to hold the thing in his mouth. All things...whatever it is you would have him hold. Don't worry about the going and getting it or the bringing it back. (However, if he doesn't have a strong recall, you might work separately on it.)

Sit down with him and open his mouth and put the thing in. Then remove it. And again. Sue Sternberg teaches an induced retrieve by holding a bit of treat behind the training object and when the dog reaches for the treat, shazam, the person pops the training object into the dog's mouth. And then removes it and offers the treat.

At any rate, don't name this behavior until he's consistently reaching for the object. THEN put a name on it. This way you're not naming an incorrect action. Some dogs (I daresay all BCs!) get this "reach and hold" behavior nailed in less than 10 minutes...even a slow learner can get it in several short sessions. In one of her seminars, she had a beagle reaching and holding in five minutes.

When he understands your fetch word, then you can hold it oddly to make him turn his head to get it, you can put it on the floor by you, you can put it on a chair, the bed, the floor of your car, the back of his kennel...get him used to picking it up in all sorts of crazy places. Make it fast and make it fun and keep each session short. Don't try for distance yet, just quick responses. Once he's got the "get it fast" down, you should be able to stretch distances without much problem.

By the time he's keen on bringing things TO you, he should be ready to zoom out after things you throw. At that point, the chase and retrieve are rewards enough.

If this doesn't work, just tell him that if a dumb ole golden retriever can do it, so can a BC! That'll get him moving.

Chris O