BC Boards

There are Times

When I have a really bad distaste for the Human Race. I got home from Agility Class this afternoon around 5 PM to discover someone had dumped two female Husky or Shepard mix puppies (2-3 months old) in my neighborhood. No collars or anything else on them. No one claims them and no one came looking for them. The puppies were playing in the street when I found them, and were about half starved to boot with insect bites all over them. They weren't feral, as they came right up to me when I called them.

My neighbors and I rounded up a crate, some food, and some flea and tick shampoo for them. Bathed them, fed and watered them, and then put them into the crate for the night. Another neighbor thinks she knows a rescue that can take them tomorrow hopefully. If not I may be able to find a rescue for them Monday. If they go to our local animal control they will be dead to two weeks probably. And it's a shame really, these are two pretty well behaved puppies for their age, both ate right out of my hand and never bit me once. Both are white with gray streaks in their coats and from the size of their feet will probably be large dogs.

There are times it is extremely hard not to hate the human race.

I completely understand. I have two cats that I adopted because they just arrived one day on my property and I couldn't turn them away. The first was around 5 weeks old and fur and bones. I put him in a small dog crate to spend the night and was so worried that he wouldn't make it through the night. The second arrived two years later and after talking to my neighbor we agreed he had been dumped in the neighborhood. He was four months old when I took him in and is the most loving cat ever. Where I live cats are coyote food. People will tell you without any embarrassment that they don't spay/neuter their cats because they don't live long enough to bother.

I am in the process of adopting a little BC mix who was found as a stray and thankfully taken in by a wonderful foster family.

I just don't get people who think animals are disposable.

Oh, I've got a story related to this that you'd love! /sarcasm

So I live in Brooklyn, New York City. Bushwick, in particular. The neighborhood I'm in is pretty gentrified, but a few avenues away, you go into the "poor" area. There's a park here with a little area fenced off the locals have flocked to using as the dog run. I used to take Caleb here all the time, but when we moved and came back a year later, I found it too full of vicious dogs. The population here is very much "ghetto," with many of its inhabitants owning pit bulls for protection, fighting, or selling. I knew a guy who cropped his dogs' ears and tails at home with some scissors. But I digress...

Anyway, on this particular day, as I'm talking to someone about Caleb, this guy walks up to us and asks if we want a dog. No, we don't. "What happened?" we ask. He apparently found a dog tied up outside his house and couldn't keep it, but refused to call the police because he didn't want to get involved. Odd, but I guess I understand especially if he doesn't like the police. So the person I'm talking to and I call the police, and the man leads us to the dog as we wait for the police to come.

This pit bull was maybe a year old-- she was very young, but had swollen breasts. I'm guessing she was going to give birth or recently did. Guy insists he doesn't know where she came from. When the police eventually shows up, as we're getting ready to collect her, the guy offers to get us a leash to take her. He runs inside, and comes out with a pink leash speckled with some rhinestones-- the exact same style as the collar she's wearing.

Don't you love people?

Where are you? I know someone who just might be ready to take on some new pups. Theirs died of old age a year or so ago. Every dog they have had - in over 40 years, has been a rescue, a "foundling" or one that otherwise needed a new home.

Yes, some people are really discouraging. I was at a sheepdog trial this weekend and some local redneck-looking people showed up with their dog, whom they said was part border collie, part miniature Aussie and part I-forget-what, that they'd gotten free off Craig's List. He was a cute young dog, white faced and perky and very friendly, and they were saying how great he was and how much they liked him. I guess the guy had even let it have a go at some cows and it showed interest, or at least it wanted to bite them.

However, they then said they didn't want to neuter him because they wanted him to sire a litter of puppies (I have no idea why) - but they were having trouble finding anyone who wanted to breed to a mixed breed. (Ya think?) I said something about there really being no need for more mixed-breed dogs, but I could see it bounced right off.

Yup, you go, mister. Create even more mutts to give away free on Craigslist ... :wacko:

~ Gloria

We got the puppies into a local rescue here in Tulsa on Sunday evening. I made a donation to the rescue that should keep them fed for a couple of months and help with their vetting. As much as it tempted me, I could not keep them. My R/W male has no patience with puppies, they get one warning and then a very harsh correction.

People make me so mad. I don't know what it is, but I get the most worked up over mistreated animals. Humans are the cruelest species on earth.

And UGH at the whole "lemme breed my dog because I want her/him to have puppies"! How can people NOT realize how stupid and selfish and wasteful that is?