BC Boards

Dan attacked...

5-grain sourdough sounds yummy! I hope Dan's tummy is o.k.

I estimate Dan consumed approximately 0.5 kg of bread (only the bottom crust was left). My ex-foster boy, Rhys bach, demonstrated that a normal border collie can scarf down at least 800 kg of freshly baked bread with no ill effects. [and that, of course, is an admission that bread attacks have happened all too many times before. ] The bread, itself, is primarily whole grain -- spelt & khorasan wheat mainly -- milled at home, so no funny chemicals and additives. Never had a tummy upset; not once.

I would also be joining your dogs in their feast, I wish my bread making skills were up to yours I am drooling at thought of your bread.

You live in Europe (?), so you hardly need to bother; good bread is available at virtually every corner. Le Goût du Pain -- written by Professor Raymond Calvel -- is worshiped as the divine sayings of the Master. Here in the US, if you want good bread, you have to make it yourself.

You live in Europe (?), so you hardly need to bother; good bread is available at virtually every corner. Le Goût du Pain -- written by Professor Raymond Calvel -- is worshiped as the divine sayings of the Master. Here in the US, if you want good bread, you have to make it yourself.

I do now live in Spain, but my choice of bread might be more limited than when I was in the States, there is no local bakery and the par-baked stuff you get in the super market I don't think is as good as its US or UK equivalent, the best croissants come from the German discount supermarket Lidl. But if you want to compare price/quality of wine Spain will win!

I do now live in Spain, but my choice of bread might be more limited than when I was in the States, there is no local bakery and the par-baked stuff you get in the super market I don't think is as good as its US or UK equivalent, the best croissants come from the German discount supermarket Lidl. But if you want to compare price/quality of wine Spain will win!

I've never lived in Spain, so my knowledge is limited. France, of course, has marvelous bread, but so does Italy, Germany (ahh, the German Rye breads) as well as Scandinavia.

I can't speak for Spain, but there are amazing bakeries on just about every corner in Puerto Rico where you can get delicious fresh bread right out of the oven. The only problem is it's all white bread and I tend to like heartier whole and multi-grains.

I can't speak for Spain, but there are amazing bakeries on just about every corner in Puerto Rico where you can get delicious fresh bread right out of the oven. The only problem is it's all white bread and I tend to like heartier whole and multi-grains.

Senneca turns her nose up at white bread; she loves my bread (and my wife's chapattis). I may have a spoiled dog.

That's like France, great local bakeries but almost all white bread. I was reading an article a few months ago though about bread in France and how traditional bakeries are struggling against supermarkets and bakeries that bring par-baked bread, the same thing is happening with those glorious patisseries as well pre-made food coming into local bistros. I don't live in a traditional part of Spain, the area we are in my husband has described as a combination of the Hamptons and the Jersey shore, strange description but oddly accurate plus over 20% of the population is non-spanish.

Ahhh, fresh baked bread! When I was in college, my senior year roommates were an engaged couple. On Saturdays, the guy would bake a couple of loaves of bread (usually whole wheat, nothing fancy). But he went the extra step and on Saturday mornings, he would hand-grind the wheat berries used in the loaves. Yah, I would come home in the afternoon and slather some butter on warm bread just out of the oven. Heaven!