BC Boards

I'm ready to REDOG myself... Assistance? Leads?

Howdy! Just wanted to say a public "thank you" to folks who have kept me in mind when they've heard of different dogs coming available. I really appreciate the thoughtfulness of the forum members!

In a month of intense browsing of shelters and rescues, I've realized that I need to choose a dog based on energy level above anything else - even above Border Collieness, as much as I'd love the right BC to be my next dog. Any dog coming home with me will realistically have to manage 8 hours of minding the castle while I work every day. Ideally, he or she would be eventually reliable when loose in the house. I will do 2 walks a day, generally one in the woods off-leash, but I am not going to be able to provide a sheep farm or enter disc championships with a dog. So! Medium energy with a solid off-switch. That's the new dream. ;)

(There is this fabulously beautiful, shy, and sweet-looking BC/Beagle mix I've got my eye on. He's so dreamy. And a gorgeous shepherd mix of 4 years whose former owner died. She's STUNNING. I'll keep you posted. I have to wait until school lets out... six weeks... and all my dog crushes keep disappearing from my "favorites" list as they get adopted!)

And! Here's an interesting thing I've learned. When people know you are looking for a dog, EVERYONE will tell you what to do.

"You should really get a lab! They are so smart!" (Have you read "Marly and Me?")

"You want to get a dog way easier than Buddy this time!" (Um. I really loved Buddy and didn't find it "hard.")

"You can't go wrong with a Cavalier King Charles!" (What can I say? They're not my type.)

"If you don't get a puppy, you'll never really have that same bond!" (Grr!)

I hope everything works out. I can't wait to see your final pick. 6 weeks? You are very patient!!!

Regarding thinking about a dog other than a BC: I will often see a dog whose energy and personality attracts me - and often it is not a BC. A couple weekends ago, my latest crush was a toy poodle. Imagine that!

I really really wanted a BC when I got Hank... but Hank was the right dog for me. He's decidedly not a BC in any way or form but has a lot of the traits I loved about the breed- high energy, trainable, active, smart, etc. I started off looking at JUST BCs then expanded to add in ACDs and Aussies then started looking at anything mediumish and young (Hank is small though.... he did not grow much). I found through petfinder especially that many appealing dogs were labelled as the wrong breed or breeds I wasn't interested in. A lot of the breed guesses are just shots in the dark so I really think it's best when looking at shelters/rescues to be a little more open regarding breed.

Just my 2 cents though!