BC Boards

Obedience query

Hi folks, I was having a wee browse through the AKC obed site today trying to familiarise myself with the rules etc. I came across some photos of dogs sent out to a selection of dumbbells (possibly 8-10 all scattered). I was just wondering if this is a scent exercise or what way does it work?

TIA.

Kat

In CKC (Canadian) that would be a scent exercise and since many US competitors come to Canada for titling their dogs, I suspect it works like this.

The handler will have their own set of dumbells, usually 3 leather, 3 metal, 3 wood. the judge will point to a particular dumbbell, the handler will 'put their scent on it' and all the dumbbells will be put down. The dog is then sent to find the appropriate dumbbell, and bring it back to the handler.

Oh, I forgot to add...in Canada, Border Collies are not recognized by the CKC, so cannot compete in any CKC sanctioned events, such as obedience and THANKFULLY, conformation.

Tessa-are you sure that AKC only has metal? The last obedience trial I attended (in November 2004), AKC utility used metal and leather (not wood). UKC may only use metal articles, now. It's been awhile since I've been at a UKC event. The open retrieving exercises use a dumb bell, which can be plastic or wood, I think.

Barb S

This is from Section 8 of the Utility Exercises (found online at AKC.org):

"In each of these two exercises, the dog must select and retrieve an article that has been handled by its handler. The dog must make this selection based on scent alone.

The articles will be provided by the handler and will consist of two sets, each comprised of five identical objects, which may be items of everyday use. The size of the articles will be proportionate to the size of the dog. One set must be made entirely of rigid metal and one of leather, designed so that only a minimum amount of thread or other material is visible. The articles in each set will be legibly numbered with a different number and must be approved by the judge."

In the early days of obedience, handlers used all types of articles, including gloves and baby shoes.

Tessa, you were right about UKC obedience.

From the UKC regs:(XXIII-C)

"Scent articles. Exhibitors needing scent articles must provide five identical scent articles made of metal and numbered for identification. Scent articles are normally shaped like dumbbells but other shapes are acceptable."