BC Boards

Costs of routine vet care

emilyfalk

Emily - Mark and Renee had a vet who did home-visit BAER tests come out once, and I went down to help and to have Megan tested. Maybe Mark or Renee could give you more information. The per animal price was very reasonable for the visit, where nine animals were tested. I think that would be a fantastic service to offer at a trial since it is not easy to find someone who does BAER near many people's home locations.

PS - You might get a lot of clients right after their bad runs!

I work at 2 vet clinics in Iowa. The low cost clinic does bare basics such as exams ($20), Rabies vacc ($15), and neuters (example: cat neuter $45). I also work at an emergency clinic where an exam is $70, IV catheters run $75, radiographs around $250, and surgeries $2-5,000. There is quite a variation depending on the level of care you want. At a low cost clinic it's pretty cheap but you don't get a lot of time with the vet. At more expensive clinics you get a lot of individualized attention and pay more. You do get what you pay for in medicine.

I've got a couple more comparisons from our visit today. (I'll add them as an edit to my original post above, as well.)

2nd pet - previous vet no discount, 2 full OVs at $47 each. Current vet additional $10 for 2nd pet.

Fecal - Previous vet $23.93 Current vet $10.00

Nail clip - Previous vet $14.85 Current vet No charge

I've gotta wonder why all the weird amounts at the one vet instead of round dollar amounts.

And a molar extraction for a dog with a broken tooth will be $150 at current vet. Dunno how much it would have been at the other one.

I know VA Tech does it in my area, but yeah, I would wonder (hope) that if the service was more readily available, then more breeders would test litters who may be at increased risk, and maybe more people would try testing their "hard" or "stubborn" dogs before passing them on to the next trial person. Wouldn't be much of an inconvenience to have pups and dogs done at a trial!

I'll let you guys know what I find out. I have about a million projects happening at once...and oh yeah, some of the biggest trials of the year are coming up and neither myself nor the dogs are ready! So I'm looking at May as a vacay of sorts, a working vacay ;)