BC Boards

Let the Shedding Begin..

Well, it hasn't started yet but when it does it's going to be epic with the amount of fur Tio has. And here I was thinking back in November.....I hope Tio gets more of a coat for winter. BOY did he ever. Looks like a black and white Samoyed. Have any of your dogs started shedding their winter coat yet?

Nattie is a smooth coat and doesn't shed much but my GSD (Rem) thinks shedding should be an Olympic sport! Rem is super slim but you would never know it unless you ran your hands over his ribs because his coat hides how slim he is. I am always amazed at how much my dog can shed and not be bald.

YES. Callie is leaving huge clumps everywhere and then trying to eat them. We can't even pet her without racking fur out! I'm hoping a nice brushing tonight will resolve it for a day or so and maybe I can eat something in the house without double-checking it for sneak dog fur.

Nattie is a smooth coat and doesn't shed much but my GSD (Rem) thinks shedding should be an Olympic sport! Rem is super slim but you would never know it unless you ran your hands over his ribs because his coat hides how slim he is. I am always amazed at how much my dog can shed and not be bald.

It's a little known fact that German Shepherd Dogs (and Dalmations) have a solid core of hair that just keeps migrating outward and falling off.

As an ex-groomer, it's my opinion that the furriest Husky that ever drew breath could not out-shed a German Shepherd Dog. I was kibitzing with a guy once who was working on a clothes dryer in the garage of a friend of mine. He pulled out a wad of hair as big as a vollyball from the underparts of the dryer. I looked at the hair, and said,"You have a German Shepherd mix, huh?" He looked up, surprised. "Yeah, how'd you know?"

"Male, I asked?"

He nodded.

"Older?"

Now he was really freaking out. "Are you psychic?" he asked.

"No," I answered.

"Well, how did you know all that?"

"Well," I said, pulling off a wisp of the dog hair. "It looks like German Shepherd hair, but a bit shorter. It's sort of dry and brittle, so I guessed the dog was older."

"Well, how did you know he was a he?"

"Lucky guess. Males usually have more coat. And besides, it was a 50/50 chance."

It's a little known fact that German Shepherd Dogs (and Dalmations) have a solid core of hair that just keeps migrating outward and falling off.

As an ex-groomer, it's my opinion that the furriest Husky that ever drew breath could not out-shed a German Shepherd Dog.

GSD's should come with warnings. Your post is spot on and should serve as a cautionary tale to anyone that wants a GSD.

I tried to vacuum Callie a little after her brushing and she wasn't having it. She hates the big stand up vacuum but usually just stalks the small handheld one as I'm using it, so I figured if I just kind of slowly crept closer to her and poked her hindquarters a little bit, she might not notice that I was sucking up fur...

She didn't get freaked out because she already knows it won't eat her (unlike the large vacuum, obviously that's the dog gobbler), but she just froze up and looked at me with her "why are you torturing me?!" eyes and then darted away. I figured in the interest of preserving her peaceful relationship with the small vacuum, I'd let it be and just brush her again soon.

So...much...fur. I've never had a dog that shed SO MUCH for SUCH A LONG TIME.

I tried to vacuum Callie a little after her brushing and she wasn't having it. She hates the big stand up vacuum but usually just stalks the small handheld one as I'm using it, so I figured if I just kind of slowly crept closer to her and poked her hindquarters a little bit, she might not notice that I was sucking up fur...

She didn't get freaked out because she already knows it won't eat her (unlike the large vacuum, obviously that's the dog gobbler), but she just froze up and looked at me with her "why are you torturing me?!" eyes and then darted away. I figured in the interest of preserving her peaceful relationship with the small vacuum, I'd let it be and just brush her again soon.

So...much...fur. I've never had a dog that shed SO MUCH for SUCH A LONG TIME.

I had a BC/Lab cross from '81 to '96. Lacey LOVED rolling over on her belly to let me vacuum her with the floor attachment. I could also use it all over her back.

I've had 6 GSDs in the house that didn't shed like my 2 BCs. The GSDs did shed an absolute ton...twice a year, but my BCs shed quite a bit all year round. I'm sure most of it comes from Micah. He has food allergies, so maybe he doesn't count.