BC Boards

Canine flu ?

ncsugrad54

Here's the important takeaway from the second citation, especially as it relates to the OP's question:

At this time, there is not an H3N2 vaccine available in the U.S. It is not known at this time whether the H3N8 vaccine will offer any protection against the H3N2 strain. (https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/FAQs/Pages/Control-of-Canine-Influenza-in-Dogs.aspx)

This author lost me with the statement "vaccines are not safe" which is just a marketing scare tactic to push his own agenda.

From what I can tell, this flu is like any other flu; healthy animals may get sick but should be able to fight off the virus. Old, young, and health compromised animals may have issues since they do not already have antibodies in their system to fight off this new virus. Like other flus, keep watch for secondary infections that can occur once an animal is sick.

I also noticed the warning on HW preventative led right to a link with a book for sale.

I really do like to keep things like vaccines and preventatives to a minimum. But personally, I can't take sites like that seriously as it seems to to be fear/sales based on the opposite side of the coin.

I like the way they say 'most dogs exposed to it get better' and 'only' 20% of dogs who get it have a moderate-to-severe illness' (paraphrased.) Sure most dogs who get into chocolate get better, I don't know why people bother keeping them away from it. :P

Haven't got the vaccine for our lot, I don't vaccinate every year- and mine are seniors so they need fewer vaccines anyway- but if it was in my area I would definitely consider getting it for all of them. My little old girl has respiratory problems, damn right I'll try to protect her from it. Even if it's from a different strain there's the chance of partial immunity depending on similarities between the viruses.

I suppose though "in the world of Nature" she'd die a slow and painful death, since she probably wouldn't be part of the 'most' dogs who fight it off themselves, so I should just let it happen I guess.

I mean, why is it perfectly acceptable for a proportion of dogs to suffer needless, preventable deaths because it's natural? Surely being naked and not having computers or literacy is also natural? It seems like an excuse that's inconsistently applied when it suits the person making it. Very few people say 'Well, I'm not going to take a holiday which involves driving or flying there, or use computers and read books, because those things are unnatural'.

Simba,

I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make? The dogs who need protection are the very old, the very young, and those with health issues that would make them more likely to have complications from a disease like the flu. I believe that's pretty much standard protocol for any vaccine.

Has anyone here actually said YOU shouldn't vaccinate YOUR dogs if you choose to do so? I doubt it.

Me, I'd likely vaccinate my older dogs if I thought they were at risk and I thought the vaccine was effective. I would not necessarily vaccinate my young, fit, healthy dogs. Every time a new disease risk emerges we all have to make our own risk-benefit choices regarding the disease and available vaccines and treatments.

I don't think anyone is actually TELLING anyone else here what they MUST do.

J.